Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Is it time to put down soybean meal in my zone???

highalttransplant
17 years ago

I am trying to use organics on the sod that was put down in the fall, but I am new to it, and not sure about the timing of things. Couldn't find CMG anywhere, but bought enough SBM for two applications. This week our highs are supposed to hit at least 60 and lows are at or above the freezing mark. Should I go ahead and apply it this week? Also, I don't know what to set the spreader on. The commercial fertilizers tell you on the bag, so not sure how to calculate. They are 50 lb. bags, and my lawn is ~ 5200 sq. ft. Someone help this newbie please!

Comments (12)

• dchall_san_antonio
    17 years ago

Settings on spreaders don't work for organics. Reason: the organics absorb moisture making them flow much better in Las Vegas (super low humidity) than in Houston. Your humidity would probably allow more flowing. What I did (when I used to use a spreader) was to measure out, say, 10 pounds into the spreader, set the setting to the middle of the dial, and walk the entire place or until I ran out of stuff. Then I would open the dial all the way and do it again. Then I would leave it all the way open and guess at how many times I would have to walk and rewalk to get it all out at the right rate. It turned out that I had to leave my spreader all the way open and walk it twice. That was for CGM. Other materials on other days would be different. Now I throw it by hand. Obviously pictures of my lawn are not going into Home and Garden. I'm much more interested in the process than in the appearance.

I live in San Antonio and fertilize on the Federal Holiday Schedule. That means on President's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, and once again at either Thanksgiving or Christmas. Your climate, wallet, and willingness to get into this stuff will dictate your actual applications. My first application is timed to be 3 weeks prior to our historical 'last frost' date.

• ahava
    17 years ago

Dchall - I'm north of you in the DFW area. I will be following an Organic program and I like your outline of following the Holidays thru the calendar year. Would need to time this a little around predicted rain events.

When using soybean meal, can too much "burn" the grass like commercial fertilizers?

• dchall_san_antonio
    17 years ago

Too much won't burn the lawn. Too much will smell really bad as it turns sour. Way too much will smother the grass and stink. You should be able to go to about 25 pounds per 1,000 with soy without getting a smell.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Obviously my schedule would need to take into account the difference in our zones. So is it TOO early, or can I go ahead with the first application?

• woodycrest
    17 years ago

go ahead!

the soybean meal will 'work' when the conditions are right...you can apply it anytime.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! Should you water the grass afterwards? If so, I will have to hand water it, as our sprinkler system won't be up and running again for probably another month.

• okcdan
    17 years ago

"Should you water the grass afterwards?"

Well, no, not necessarily. I attempt to apply the soybean meal when there's some rain in the forecast though. It really doesn't hurt anything if it sits a few days. One exception in my opinion is with alfalfa pellets. It's really best to water those in....when you water em, they sorta melt, breakdown some & go right to the soil & that gives a good start to the decomposition process.

There may be some differing opinions, but that's my 2 cents

Good day, Dan

• woodycrest
    17 years ago

i agree with Dan...keep an eye on the weather and let nature do the 'watering in'.

Or even better apply while its raining...then you are assured it gets watered in.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I put ~75 lbs. down today, and will save the other 75 for sometime in May. I drug that hose all over the yard and watered enough to at least knock the SBM off the blades of grass and down towards theit as the wind picked up later in the afternoon.

Woodycrest, "apply while its raining" LOL!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's weird. Part of my post disappeared. It should have read ... "down towards the ground. Definitely not my favorite gardening activity, but I'm glad I did it, as the wind picked up later in the afternoon.

• Timlad
    10 years ago

I live in Central Texas in the Dallas Ft Worth area and have tried soybean meal last month but have not seen any real changes in my lawn. I must say temps have been 99 to 105 for about three weeks and we have water restrictions. Should I continue using this product for my lawn or try something else?

Thanks

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Like any other plant grasses need water to grow and look good.
    Spreading anything and then not providing enough water to keep the plants growing will not do much of anything for those plants, although some synthetic fertilizers can "burn" those plants. In dry soil the Soil Food Web will not be active and will not convert the soybean meal into something your turf grass can use to grow. Be patient and it will but you will not see much until the soil moisture is at adequate levels.

Sponsored