Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhazzardb_gw

Poa Annua vs Round Up

JHazzardB
12 years ago

Big dilemma. Exactly two weeks ago today (Saturday), I did a spring slice-seeding of some more TTTF to help any bare spots in the yard. 1 week ago (7 days after watering began), I noticed a small hoard of pod annua (30sqft) in the front yard. I've dug some out, but there's a lot that has become very entangled with the mix of bermuda of fescue. I expect the TTTF to start emerging in 7 to 10 more days.

Question: Should I round up the Poa Annua now? And then lay more fescue?

Concercn: If I do it now, I can still put down more fescue seed over it to help out compete the poa. But, also as I like to mulch mow and not bag, Mulching pod annua seeds into the soil makes me ill to my stomach. But come fall, I can start a poa annua preventative program.

Let me know what you all would do. Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Round Up, or any other glysophate product, is unacceptable to any organic gardener/farmer. Poa annua, Annual Blue Grass, is an annual and later, when the weather warms, it will die off eliminating the need to spray anything on it. Unfortunately, once you have it, it will grow back from seed forever and no spray will control that.

• JHazzardB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Terribly Sorry!

I did not mean to post this on the organic lawn care portion of the forums. I mean no disrespect :) I'll repost it to the other forums.

Thanks though!

• silver8ack
    12 years ago

Just curious kimmsr, what SHOULD someone do in this situation? Sit there and watch the poa take over moremofnthe lawn eah year?

It's ok OP. Dont be bullied around because you mentioned the dreaded "round up". Some people can't seem to tolerate that although we try, we are not 100% organic.

• bettyfb
    12 years ago

I agree with silver8

I just sprayed Roundup on an area of my lawn that is solid Poa Annua and then I am going to sod it. I am trying to apply organic methods on the lawn, but I do not want Poa Annua taking over. I also spot spray the clover in the Fall to keep it from taking over.

Betty

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

"Poa annua" is an annual grass, aka annual ryegrass that is often included in some lawn seed mixes to provide a quick green up. It is a cool weather grass that dies out when the hot, dryer, summer weather arrives. Since this is an annual using plant poisons to kill it are unnecessary since more than likely it will die out of its own accord before that plant poison would kill it. However, any plant poison that would kill this will also kill the desireable grasses you want, giving space for more "weeds" to grow.
    The presence of clover in a lawn might be an indication of a soil nutrient problem and clover is a "weed" today only because the makers of plant poisons could not make one that would not kill clover off. White Dutch Clover was desireable in lawns when I was growing up in the 1940's and 1950's. It started becoming a "weed" when the plant poisons started showing up in the 1950's.
    Keep your "Poa annua" cut so it does not make any seeds and it will not continue to grow. That is a much less expensive, and much more environmentally acceptable, then spraying plant poisons around.

• silver8ack
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info Kimmsr.

• garycinchicago
    12 years ago

>"Keep your "Poa annua" cut so it does not make any seeds and it will not continue to grow."

Poa annua seeds even when mowed at golf course greens heights of 1/2" tall.

Please tell us how to mow lower than 1/2" so it does not make any seeds and it will not continue to grow.

• grasshole
    12 years ago

Hope, Gary.

• Tom Volinchak
    8 years ago

You can get rid of poana using roundup and not hurt the rest of you lawn. You have to be anal, and careful. It helps if your yard isn't big, mine isn't so I blasted the #$%$ out of it.

Pour the round up into a bucket.

Let the poana get tall

Using a latex glove, wet your fingers and then draw them across the poana plant.

• kimmq
    8 years ago

Sure you can, Tom, but then you are not organic.

kimmq is kimmsr

• capt08
    8 years ago

I've come to live with Poa as killing it off to start seeding the bare spots is asking for more trouble. As long as you bag your clippings when Poa is growing you should be fine. The Poa plant does not drop its seeds when it's a 1/2 inch tall. They need to grow upwards of 2-3 inches and spread out before the seeds begin to drop. To compete with Poa I overseed in my region with TF in the fall and I have been seeing less and less of the Poa each year. Give it time and you will push out the competing Poa. IMO I'd rather have Poa than any other weed in my lawn.

Sponsored