Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skoot_cat

My buddy wants Organic, has 1 acre lawn.

skoot_cat
16 years ago

My good buddy (who owns a lawn/landscape maintenance co.) came by my house this weekend and commented on how nice and green my lawn is. He asked the usual questions. How do keep it so green, what do you fertilize with, what about bugs, weeds etc. Im sure I told him more than he wanted to know about Organic lawn care, but he was very interested. Then he asked about the cost. I told him I was unsure for his size of lawn, but I and the gardenweb guru's should be able and figure out an affordable plan for him. I hope you guys will help.

Heres the current situation:

He lives in Largo, Fl. and the soil is mostly sandy. He has 1-1/2 acre of land of which approximately 1 acre is lawn/landscaping with lots of oak trees. He has not applied anything to his lawn for 1 year now. The front half is St.Augustine Floratam and is approx 20,000 sqft. The back half is mainly Bahia and some S.A.

The front 20k Sqft of Floratam is his main concern. Its currently in "decent" shape. (some thinning and bare patches) IMO, Its defiantly fixable with a little TLC. The area receives 3/4 filtered sun from the oak trees and 1/4 full sun. He has an irrigation system which uses the County's reclaimed water. He already mulch mows high and waters deeply and infrequently.

The back half is mainly Bahia and receives full sun. He would like for the this area to look "respectable", its not his top priority. (maintenance practices same as above)

Available 50# Grains/prices: SBM $17.45 - Alfalfa Pellets $13.25, Cracked corn $11.50, Molasses $3.00/gal.

Also available, Milorganite, and Scott's Organic Choice.

What do you all suggested for the Front Floratam section?

What about the back Bahia section?

Comments (9)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Just stick with soybean meal every fall and spring at a minimum as long as there are right set of organisms in the soil otherwise he will have to apply compost or compost tea to get more diversity in the soil. Look at the soil biology as if it is microscopic world with all kinds of jobs. The more diversity, the better to help the world spinning....

20k sqft front lawn seems a tad bit too big for my taste. My entire lot is only 9k! Personally, I'm not a big fan of supersized lawn and I'd focus more on restoring part of property back to "native" area for birds,bugs, etc and have smaller lawn. More trees, plant beds, and many other options to reduce the lawn size mainly around the perimeter of the property for privacy screening while keeping the middle part open for lawn.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

Yeah, 20K sq ft is large and not going to be cheap...

Lou's plan would work fine. I'd feed more often (the holiday plan, or my lightly once a month plan) and diversify the feedings to favor different organisms, but that's just me.

• skoot_cat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry guys, Im referring to the front half of his acre lot/lawn. This 20k sqft front half of lawn includes his front, side and part of his back yard. See illustration below.

Lou, his total lot size is 65,340 sqft. He already has tons of native trees and plants with mulch around all of them, lots of landscape, etc, etc. (See pic) At this point in time the cost would be considerably more for him to incorporate more plants and trees into his property than to maintain the existing.

Do you guys think 10lbs of SBM per 1000sqft would be sufficient?

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Oh okay. That make sense now except for the back half shaped like that.

For cost wise, SBM would be fine at 10-15lbs per 1000 sqft. The most important thing is having the proper set of organisms in the soil mainly fungi species to help hold more nutrients in the sandy soil so that the nutrients from grass, leaves, etc don't get washed away. That's the biggest key.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

I like that! It's much nicer than the slash-and-burn crud they did here to get the houses in. Not that there was really anything to slash or burn...

10 per K should be just fine (er, 7% N = 0.7 lbs of actual N per thousand per feeding). It's a touch light, but going organic means never having to say you're sorry.

Or something like that. If those grasses follow the 1 lb per month mine do (they may very well not and further research is absolutely required), that means an app every 0.7 months, or about three weeks, for optimal results.

Less, however, will still work just fine.

• kelleynelson
    16 years ago

You could look into the composted poultry manure products like cockadoodle doo too. I know you can get cockadoodle doo in large quantities. Some golf courses use the product and they're not dealing with 40lb bags.

It might be more economical for your buddy to place a bulk order for the year. Critters aren't attracted to manure products like they are to the feed meals and you can easily store them for a year or more if you keep the product dry.

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

On that size of lot he might want to check out getting an agricultural type spreader to apply a manure compost annually. That should wind up being quite a bit cheaper.

Then he could save the organic fertilizers for the lawn area around the house.

• rosesr4me
    16 years ago

Unfortunately, Cookadoodle Doo isn't sold near us (according to their website). However, Wilcox's Nursery on Indian Rocks Road sells chicken manure (Black Hen made by Black Kow located south of Ocala) - I have always used BH with great success.

I would be interested in a bulk purchase through Black Kow (or Amberglen) if you and your buddy are interested.

• skoot_cat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Lou, years ago the right side of his lot was a dirt road/service easement used by the county. They were no longer using it and the previous owner purchased from the county. Thats why the back right side is shaped like that.

morph, Im not sure about monthly feedings, I think the cost would be way to high. S.A. typically requires, for optimum results 4-6 lbs of N per year for full sun areas. Do you use milogantie along with grains?

rcnaylor, great idea. that would be a big job for an acre.

rose, funny you said that. I was talking to him last night and mentioned the same thing about buy grains in bulk and possible saving some money. He was all for it. How would one go about ordering Black hen in bulk, and whats the price. On a side note, did you read my post on Alfalfa pellets with Sodium Bentonite? Its on the main page.

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living