Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gatornation81

Laying sod in two weeks

gatornation81
14 years ago

I've already mixed in compost. I think I'm pretty set with a plan after it's down from reading the FAQ section.

Is there anything else I should do to prepare the soil for sod? After I lay the sod is there any reason I need to wait to add a protein-based fertilizer?

Comments (8)

• skoot_cat
    14 years ago

I would lay alfalfa pellets down now at approx 20lbs per 1000sqft on the bare dirt and water it in a few times to help it break down. You could also throw some coffee grounds down now, there free. Applying these now will give it some time to breakdown and start feeding your new sod as soon as you lay it. Once the sod is down and has been rolled I would apply another 20lbs per 1000sqft to the top of the sod.

After one month you can then feed again with what ever you like. I would go with SBM, but its up to you.

• gatornation81
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I have unlimited access to free coffee grinds so that is what I'd like to use. Any issues with only coffee grinds or should I mix it up? I don't have an issue with buying SBM or Alfalfa a couple times a year.

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

To prepare bare soil for sod you should spend time making it as flat as possible - assuming you aren't profiling in any mounds or valleys. Roll it down, water it down, fill in any holes, roll it down, water it down, fill in any holes, and repeat. It sounds like you might have tilled. If you did and especially if you added compost before tilling, then your soil will settle for 3 full years leaving you with a bumpy lawn later. Rolling it now will help but can't overcome the settling effect.

I would have waited and put everything down on top of the sod.

• solc
    14 years ago

I noticed that using coffee grounds really attracted fire ants. Once i found that out, I stopped using coffee grounds IMMEDIATELY.

Alfalfa meal would be a great protein fertilizer.

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

I'm not sure why coffee would attract any kind of insects. I'm guessing it was a coincidence that you put the coffee down about the time of a rain or something that softened the soil allowing any hills to pile up.

• gatornation81
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So the sod has been down for a month now and is doing well. I watered per the IFAS UF guidelines they suggest and now have cut it back to longer/infrequent watering.

Am I safe to put down coffee grinds any time of the year? I guess I'll start planning on doing it once a month and substitute in some meal a couple months out of the year.

• dchall_san_antonio
    13 years ago

Any time is good for organic fertilizers.

• greengrass_grower
    13 years ago

You should look in to Organic seaweed products for better results. Also check the PH of the soil.... It should be about 6.5. If it's to Alkalie it can cause disease and if its acidic, the nutrients in the soil will not be available to the plant so no matter how many coffee grounds you put on, they wont help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turf Suppliers

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction