Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
National mall organic turf experiment

Posted by kelleynelson (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 15:07

Has anyone posted yet about the organic turf maintenance project being run in part of the national mall in DC?

Four acres of the mall are receiving various organic makeovers to see how those plots fare compared to the traditionally maintained areas.

Some details here - http://www.nps.gov/nama/parkmgmt/upload/safelawns.pdf

The project is sponsored by safelawns.org, but they don't have any material about this on their website yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: National mall organic turf experiment

Video about the project -

discovery.com

o

Thanks for the link. Another reason to take DW to the Cherry Blossoms and check out the plots. Any idea when they planted? Looks like last fall in the video.

o

Yep, they seeded last fall. I think the first link I posted includes pretty accurate location info on the plots. My wife shakes her head when I take note of the turf when we go places ;)

o

• Posted by gags NoVA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 19, 08 at 17:21

Can't believe I didn't know about this until last week. Came across this on another "professional" lawn forum:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=219870

Had to laugh at the comment regarding the compacted soil - if there's one lawn that has compaction problems, it's the National Mall.

May have to take a bike ride down there and take some photos. (I'll be the only person on the Mall NOT taking a picture of the cherry blossoms!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawnsite.com Organic Forum

o

The video looks a lot more promising than the written blurb. Of course I would have simply started mowing higher and using corn meal and alfalfa without all the renovation. Hard soil doesn't bother me. Especially on a large scale like that, trying to make a huge adjustment by ripping it, well, I think it will remain very hard but would be healthier whether it was ripped or not.

Interesting project. Hope Monsanto doesn't sabotage it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here