Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anubis_pa

leaves as mulch in summer?

anubis_pa
15 years ago

I have the idea that I might save a couple bags of mulched leaves and spread them on the lawn when the heat starts to hit. While the idea seems reasonable it also seems like extra work I'd skip if there's no benefit. Has anyone tried it or think it'd be helpful to the soil at that time of year?

In my case I'm considering putting them down at the end of June, maybe before a rain, but then subsequent grass mowings may make them disappear too soon. Just an idea for now anyway,

Comments (5)

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

I tried it last year, but I had left the leaves in the bags all winter and they had gone anaerobic and smelled really awful for a few days. If you have holes punched in the bags or if you left them open, you may be ok.

• billhill
    15 years ago

ItÂs amazing how much material can be mulched into a summer lawn. Until recently I had black walnut trees dropping their leaves, sticks, nuts, etc onto the roof of the house and garage. I would rake and sweep the stuff off the roof, rake it into the middle of the back yard and run it over with the mulching mower a couple times. Shrub trimmings, tiny sticks, small piles of dried leaves, all got mulched mowed into the back lawn. All this stuff was only slightly visible for about three days and then disappeared into the lawn. If I had bags of dried leaves, I wouldnÂt hesitate to mulch mow them in. It may not be quite as good as compost, but I would call it a close second.
    Bill Hill

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

I noticed, many years ago, that where I shredded leaves for my compost bins the duff that was left behind created soil conditions that got the grass in that 4 x 4 area to grow greener, thicker, faster than just outside with no more water and certainly with no more "fertilizer". Since that time I have mulch mowed all the leaves from the trees I have back into the turf grass and while for a few days the soil may be brown and the shredded leaves very visisble in a short time there will be lots of worm castings appear and the leaves will start to "disappear" as the earthworms and other soil dwelling critters digest them and make those leaves into plant food, and the following spring the grass in that area will grow greener, thicker, faster then the surrounding are that did not get the leaves mulch mowed. Will this work the same way in the spring? I will find out this year since I have a largeish pile of leaves to use that way that got snowed on before I had the chance to mulch mow them in last fall.

• anubis_pa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was thinking about any benefit from the leaves as a mulch in the heat of summer. But after reading your comment kimmsr I realize I may as well do it. The front lawn doesn't get as many leaves as the back near the woods, which is where I do rake the excess. I'm sure adding leaves to the front will help even if not as a short term mulch as I originally envisioned.

As a side note the grass grows strongest in the corner of the front lawn which gets a bigger share of leaves from a very large oak across the street.

• organic2009
    15 years ago

It's a great idea just make certain that they are 'mulched' enough that they will not restrict air from getting to your lawn. In other words if they are too big they could suffocated the grass!

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Lawns for America

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County