Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbi_p

Garden Weasel AG Crabgrass Killer

bobbi_p
15 years ago

Hi Folks,

Trying to go organic with our lawn this year. I'm NW of Houston, TX barely in zone 9. It will be the 2nd season for the sod at our new house. It's St. Augustine laid by the builder over the usual horrible base of builders sand and the gumbo-like clay hauled in to build the area up for development. (I'm told they use the soil they dig up to form the retention/drainage lakes.)

I've applied compost to the entire lawn as well as alfalfa pellets and soybean meal around 10 pounds/1000 SF each. It's greened up well and I'm having the lawn service mow as high as possible and let the clippings fall.

We've just received a nice 4-5 day stretch of badly needed rain, but not so hot yet to require regular irrigation. I would love to be able to do the twice monthly deep irrigation. We'll see how the addition of compost and mowing higher will allow me to achieve this goal.

So that's the background. Now the problem: I have large patches of white clover and a couple of other kinds of oxalis as well as what I think Texans call crab grass amongst the St. Augustine. I also live in a deed restricted community, so they do not approve of the aforementioned non-St. Augustine patches in our lawn.

A local reputable nursery recommended the organic Garden Weasel AG Crabgrass Killer to tackle my non-St. Augustine problems. However, they were unable to get it in in a timely manner, so I ended up ordering it on line last week. I applied 4 pounds of it this morning to various areas of my lawn, but ran out before I'd applied it to all the weeds.

I noticed on the label that the active ingredient was 0.95% cinnamon and that it contained inert ingredients of corn flour, sodium bicarbonate, and turmeric as well.

Since I ran out, I thought I might as well sprinkle a little cinnamon on another patch of white clover as well. (Of course, I realize this is 100% cinnamon compared to 0.95% in the commercial product and if it is effective, I might have just killed the test area completely!)

Any thoughts on the Garden Weasel product or experiences using cinnamon based products as weed killers in St. Augustine?

Comments (2)