Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrgreenjeans_md7

Looking for protein based fertilizers with high nitrogen content

mrgreenjeans_md7
16 years ago

Which one of the commercially packaged protein-based fertilizers (ringer, espoma, etc.) has the highest nitrogen content. I'm looking for something that will green my lawn as well as the scotts brand fertilizer with 30percent N.

Comments (9)

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

Since those products are all sold as fertilizers, they should list the N content on the bag. One thing to remember is that you can get the same amount of N from fertilizer with a smaller N% by adding more of the fertilizer.

For example, if you used 20 lbs of Scotts with 30% N, and the organic fertilizer has 10% N, you could get the same results by using 60 lbs of the 10% N. In each case, you get 6 lbs of actual N.

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

If memory serves, corn gluten meal is one of the higher nitrogen content meals.

It can be fairly expensive though, compared to other meals.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

If memory serves, corn gluten meal is one of the higher nitrogen content meals.

It is, at 9% give or take. Soybean meal is considerably cheaper, and has about 7% nitrogen, plus or minus. Milorganite is (location dependent) cheaper still and 6% nitrogen.

Normalizing that to 1 lb nitrogen per thousand square feet...

For me, CGM is $24 for 50 lbs, 9% N or $37 to feed the lawn once.

Soy is $14 per 50 lbs, 7% N, or $28 to feed the lawn once.

Milorganite is $9 for 40 lbs, 6% N, or $27 to feed the lawn once.

Milorganite would be the most economical, but I tend to use soybean meal and it's extremely close anyway. CGM is minimal on phosphorous and potassium, as well. By the time you sum all that in, soybean wins by a fair amount.

• decklap
    16 years ago

There is no organic product that will "green" your lawn like chemicals. But there is no organic product that will burn out the chemistry in your soil, alter your Ph, or leach into the groundwater like chemicals.

Chemicals work quickly at the expense of the soil. Organics work more slowly, a matter of a few weeks, but tend to encourage healthy soils.
    Lots of organic fertilizers are perfectly workable and have been mentioned but they need to be used in conjunction with a program that builds organic matter in the soil and increases soil biology.

• fescue_planter
    16 years ago

I don't know about organics not being able to green your lawn like chemicals. At least in my case I can't say the grass was ever greener than a few weeks after a soybean app but maybe it varies by the grass.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

There is no organic product that will "green" your lawn like chemicals. But there is no organic product that will burn out the chemistry in your soil, alter your Ph, or leach into the groundwater like chemicals.

Chemicals work quickly at the expense of the soil. Organics work more slowly, a matter of a few weeks, but tend to encourage healthy soils.

Something we rarely talk about is the availability of the nitrogen in terms of how long it takes to process the protein. Blood protein is almost immediately available to the plants while feather protein takes months to become available. Grains show results in 3 weeks. Blood shows results in a few days, BUT you have to be careful with the dose so you don't burn the roots.

There is a great brand of organic fertilizer called Texas Tee that has a mix of a little bit of blood, plenty of grains, and a good sized dose of feather meal. With a mix like that you should get a quick green up with sustained color (and general organic benefits) for months. It seems to me I've seen similar formulae in other brands.

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

I've noticed some non organic lawns getting ridiculously green - almost neon green - for a few days, but it never holds. For day in, day out, green, I think that organic is as good if not better than organic.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

I disagree. Nothing is better than organic is organic better.

;-)

• m1shmosh
    16 years ago

I would concede also that chemicals can achieve a deeper green but it is short-lived.

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH