Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Balancing minerals for organic lawn transition

Posted by KathleenMillar none (kathleen@cultivatingsoil.com) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 18:43

Hi All,
I've been really impressed with the quality of info provided on this site and was hoping for some opinions of how to help a client transitioning to organic lawn maintenance. He's been at it for one season and as you can see from the soil test result, was using a lot of dolomitic lime. He's stopped that now and asked me to do an analysis and recommendations for the mineral content and balance in his soil. Based on the Logan lab results here is some advice I've received so far with the intention of being cost conscious:

Just apply amounts for 3", not 6"
In descending order I should address:

Calcium (which is actually sufficient)
Potassium (which is low but this client plans to do a core aeration and an application of compost so K may be available there)
Phosphorus (address with CalPhos application)
Sulfur (address with gypsum or as by product of sulfate applications)
Manganese (apply manganese sulfate at 20lb/ac)
Zinc (apply application limit at zinc sulfate 14 lb/ac)
Cu (address with liquid copper chelate)
Any other suggestions or perhaps a way to streamline and thus decrease the cost? As I said, this client is planning to core aerate and do a compost application when he will also apply mycorrhizal fungi.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Balancing minerals for organic lawn transition

Given the numbers I see there is no reason to add anything. There is adequate amounts of organic matter (9.89 %) as well as most everything except P.
For drought protection I would want the soil depth to be 6 inches, not 3.
Why does this soil need aeration? Given the amount of organic matter the Soil Food Web should be keeping that soil well aerated, unless something was done to the soil that killed them off.
Will this person be adding fungi that will work with grasses or trees or flowers? Mycorrhiza, myco = fungus and rhiza - roots, refers more to a mutually beneficial relationship some species of fungi form with plants and different fungi develop that relationship with different plants so the fungi that form a symbiotic relationship with trees will not do so with grasses.
Get the soil into a good healthy condition and the fungi will be there without spending money on "magic elixirs" that most likely are not what you want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here