Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone up north noticing the forsythia blooming?

Posted by rutgers1 6NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 08 at 19:13

I see some yellow flowers here in NJ. The corn gluten meal was put down today.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone up north noticing the forsythia blooming?

Not a hint of forsynthia bloom here in mid Michigan. Huge snow piles are everywhere. South facing slopes are beginning to show a little green though. I am so sick of this snow, cant wait for it to warm up. Bill Hill

o

Nothing yet. They tend to go near the end of March or beginning of April. Soil temperatures are still holding between 40 and 45 degrees.

o

I have 4 of them in my backyard that are looking sad, sad, sad. They were planted last October, so I have no idea if they will ever bloom!

o

I won't see mine bloom until mid April. We had another inch of snow last night and the high today is in the low 30s. (Sigh)

o

I barely remember forsythia

o

I usually dont put down cgm until mid April here in Michigan. Im with you BHill, still have snow in my yard and am also sick of it.

o

Interesting. My forsythia must be super powered!

o

Daffodils are out. Tulips at the Pentagon are just about to pop. Forsythia just budded out this past weekend. Flat tires on the mower - oh my!

o

I feel your pain, Soccer_dad. I just sharpened my blades and started charging the batteries. We're getting sleet tonight.

Sigh.

The daffodils are just starting, my mid-season tulips just sprouting, the crocus aren't ready to go just yet (for me--my mother's are, in a much more sheltered environment).

Spring may begin at any moment.

o

I'm in mid-Michigan (Grand Rapids) and we just got another 2" of snow yesterday. It warmed up a little and there are some bare patches of ground today, but mostly still snow-covered. There is a brave little bunch of bright yellow crocuses coming up by our deck, but everything else including forsythia is still dormant. The crocuses give me hope.

o

While I live in San Antonio I have been working in Pampa, TX (far north Panhandle) for about 8 months. I'm not sure what forsythia looks like, but the early wild flowers are beginning to bloom everywhere, so it's time (or past time) in Texas.

o

The forsythia has been blooming in my area for about three or four days now.

I'm glad. I'm ready to get back out there and work in the yard!

o

I see several of you mentioning that you put down CGM when you see the forsythia bloom. Is this correct? This will be my first organic season and thought i should use SBM or alfalfa as a good nitrogen fertilizer application. can i combine the two?

does the CGM act as a weed deterrent?

o

Here in MA (Worcester county), forsythia have still not bloomed. Weather is warming and lawns started to green up. I suspect they will bloom in the next 5-10 days.

tim in ny
People spread Corn Gluten Meal (CGM) as a pre-emergent. It is expensive ($30-40/50 lbs) and people use alot (30-40 lbs/1000ft^3). Others spread corn meal/cracked corn (15-30 lbs/1000 ft^3) for it's anti-fungal properties and is a very light fertilizer when grass usually doesn't need a fertilizer and you want to feed the microherd. If you want more information you could start a new thread here or on the organic lawn care forum.

o

Dateline Lehigh Valley, PA...they're just starting to bloom!

o

Forsythia are just about ready to open here in Northern NJ. Crocus have been up and opened for about a week and the daffs and tulips are a few inches tall but remain unopened.

o

I'm starting to see my dormant seeded poa supina bluegrass starting to germinate! Soil temperatures are finally rising above 50 degrees.

o

The forsythia are in bloom, soil temperatures are well over 50 here today, and my dormant seeding is sprouting!

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 11, 08 at 20:34

Just today I saw the first forsythia bloom. Spring has sprung!

o

Forsythia started to bloom this weekend (4/12); daffodils started last weekend

o

I'm too in MA and can confirm the start of forsythia bloom. Spring has sprung!

o

• Posted by itb76 MI (5) (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 27, 08 at 13:54

Sorry I didn't see this post before, I was probably out skiing! :D I'd say the forsythia started blooming last week here in West Michigan.

o

Here in North Central Iowa where the farmers are waiting for their fields to dry out so they can plant a record corn and soybean crop...we had 6 inches of rain last Thursday night.

My forsythia bloomed 25 Apr.

My daffodils are only 25% in bloom

We have a frost warning for tonight ... 29F

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here