Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rutgers1_gw

Anyone up north noticing the forsythia blooming?

rutgers1
16 years ago

I see some yellow flowers here in NJ. The corn gluten meal was put down today.

Comments (23)

• billhill
    16 years ago

Not a hint of forsynthia bloom here in mid Michigan. Huge snow piles are everywhere. South facing slopes are beginning to show a little green though. I am so sick of this snow, cant wait for it to warm up. Bill Hill

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

Nothing yet. They tend to go near the end of March or beginning of April. Soil temperatures are still holding between 40 and 45 degrees.

• damutha
    16 years ago

I have 4 of them in my backyard that are looking sad, sad, sad. They were planted last October, so I have no idea if they will ever bloom!

• iowa50126
    16 years ago

I won't see mine bloom until mid April. We had another inch of snow last night and the high today is in the low 30s. (Sigh)

• decklap
    16 years ago

I barely remember forsythia

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Interesting. My forsythia must be super powered!

• soccer_dad
    16 years ago

Daffodils are out. Tulips at the Pentagon are just about to pop. Forsythia just budded out this past weekend. Flat tires on the mower - oh my!

16 years ago

I feel your pain, Soccer_dad. I just sharpened my blades and started charging the batteries. We're getting sleet tonight.

Sigh.

The daffodils are just starting, my mid-season tulips just sprouting, the crocus aren't ready to go just yet (for me--my mother's are, in a much more sheltered environment).

Spring may begin at any moment.

• tas123
    16 years ago

I'm in mid-Michigan (Grand Rapids) and we just got another 2" of snow yesterday. It warmed up a little and there are some bare patches of ground today, but mostly still snow-covered. There is a brave little bunch of bright yellow crocuses coming up by our deck, but everything else including forsythia is still dormant. The crocuses give me hope.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

While I live in San Antonio I have been working in Pampa, TX (far north Panhandle) for about 8 months. I'm not sure what forsythia looks like, but the early wild flowers are beginning to bloom everywhere, so it's time (or past time) in Texas.

• turf_toes
    16 years ago

The forsythia has been blooming in my area for about three or four days now.

I'm glad. I'm ready to get back out there and work in the yard!

• tim_in_ny
    16 years ago

I see several of you mentioning that you put down CGM when you see the forsythia bloom. Is this correct? This will be my first organic season and thought i should use SBM or alfalfa as a good nitrogen fertilizer application. can i combine the two?

does the CGM act as a weed deterrent?

• grayentropy
    16 years ago

Here in MA (Worcester county), forsythia have still not bloomed. Weather is warming and lawns started to green up. I suspect they will bloom in the next 5-10 days.

tim in ny
    People spread Corn Gluten Meal (CGM) as a pre-emergent. It is expensive ($30-40/50 lbs) and people use alot (30-40 lbs/1000ft^3). Others spread corn meal/cracked corn (15-30 lbs/1000 ft^3) for it's anti-fungal properties and is a very light fertilizer when grass usually doesn't need a fertilizer and you want to feed the microherd. If you want more information you could start a new thread here or on the organic lawn care forum.

16 years ago

Dateline Lehigh Valley, PA...they're just starting to bloom!

• compostman
    16 years ago

Forsythia are just about ready to open here in Northern NJ. Crocus have been up and opened for about a week and the daffs and tulips are a few inches tall but remain unopened.

• kelleynelson
    16 years ago

I'm starting to see my dormant seeded poa supina bluegrass starting to germinate! Soil temperatures are finally rising above 50 degrees.

16 years ago

The forsythia are in bloom, soil temperatures are well over 50 here today, and my dormant seeding is sprouting!

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Just today I saw the first forsythia bloom. Spring has sprung!

• grassman84
    16 years ago

Forsythia started to bloom this weekend (4/12); daffodils started last weekend

• grayentropy
    16 years ago

I'm too in MA and can confirm the start of forsythia bloom. Spring has sprung!

• itb76
    15 years ago

Sorry I didn't see this post before, I was probably out skiing! :D I'd say the forsythia started blooming last week here in West Michigan.

• iowa50126
    15 years ago

Here in North Central Iowa where the farmers are waiting for their fields to dry out so they can plant a record corn and soybean crop...we had 6 inches of rain last Thursday night.

My forsythia bloomed 25 Apr.

My daffodils are only 25% in bloom

We have a frost warning for tonight ... 29F