Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_mchugh

Did I Blow My Chance For a Soil Test This Spring?

Nancy McHugh
13 years ago

I want to go organic but threw down Scotts Halts last weekend figuring let me atleast try to first address the crabgrass I see every year. I also want to get a soil test at Rutgers but I'm wondering if now I have to wait. Can I grab samples tomorrow or will results be thrown off because of the Halts? If I have to wait, how long (6 weeks would equal May 1).

I'm anticipating test results will indicate a need for lime. If I have to wait to take soil samples,I'd be looking at somewhere near mid-May to get results back. If they do indicate need for lime, would I be able to do it and begin grain feeds at the same time? My goal is to do whatever I can to get the soil as best it can be in time for overseeding this fall.

If I do need lime, would it be best to aerate before putting lime down in May or if it were you guys, would you put the lime down in May and save the aerating for right before seeding?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Comments (4)

• dchall_san_antonio
    13 years ago

If you are most interested in pH, I don't think the Halts would affect it.

If you want to get going with grains, you can do that with or without a soil test.

I don't think aerating will make a difference with liming either. Just apply to the surface if you need it.

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

The best time to apply needed lime is several months before you want to see results, so that should have been done last fall. You can still have a soil test done now to see what you might need to do this fall. Rutgers will probably advise that you take your soil samples about an inch down of the top 6 inches of soil and the Halts should have no affect then.

• Nancy McHugh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. So if lime is needed, it is best to do when I seed in the fall versus getting into the soil now? My thought is that doing it now would begin to get the soil ready so that it's been working for awhile and would provide more benefit when the seed hits the ground in the fall. Kimmsr, you think I should wait until I seed? If yes, do it at the same time as seeding? Also part of my plan is to get grains down beginning now and to specifically get alfalfa down at the same time I seed (early September). Does this sequence make sense?
    Thanks again kimmsr and dchall

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

The people at Rutgers more than likely will tell you to wait until fall to apply the lime. My uncle, who was a farmer for many years retiring in the 1960's, would never apply lime for several weeks before or after applying manure. The thought then was that the lime caused Nitrogen loss. I am told today that does not happen, but because lime is a caustic substance (highly alkaline) it can destroy the seeds so spreading lime just before or just after seeding would not be a good idea.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting