Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_mchugh

Can Anyone Offer a General Plan?

Nancy McHugh
13 years ago

Like a good diet and exercise, I know I need to just get started. I've owned my home for 15 yrs and for the first approx 10, I did the typical homeowner synthetic fert most years; overseeding just 2 or 3 times. For the last 5 I've done nearly nothing and have a marginally average lawn. I'd like to make an effort to get it healthy this season and then overseed this fall.Would appreciate feedback on plan:

By Forsythia season, throw on a synthetic pre-emerge; begin organic plan therafter in order to prepare soil for fall seeding. What should I do and when? I've read about soybean. Good idea to do 10-20 lbs per 1000sf beginning start of May? Do it again in June;Mix it up with another 10-20per of alfalfa in mid-late August and then overseed in approx mid-late September?

Comments (2)

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

To have a good, healthy lawn you need a good healthy soil. If you have not had a good, reliable soil tet done in the last 5 years now is a good time to get one done. Contact your local office of your state universities Cooperative Extension Service about that so you know what your soils pH is (most all cool season grasses grow best in soils with a pH between 6.0 and 7.0) and what the nutrient balance is. Then you may want to dig in with these simple soil tests,
    1) Soil test for organic matter. From that soil sample put enough of the rest to make a 4 inch level in a clear 1 quart jar, with a tight fitting lid. Fill that jar with water and replace the lid, tightly. Shake the jar vigorously and then let it stand for 24 hours. Your soil will settle out according to soil particle size and weight. For example, a good loam will have about 1-3/4 inch (about 45%) of sand on the bottom. about 1 inch (about 25%) of silt next, about 1 inch (25%) of clay above that, and about 1/4 inch (about 5%) of organic matter on the top.

2) Drainage. Dig a hole 1 foot square and 1 foot deep and fill that with water. After that water drains away refill the hole with more water and time how long it takes that to drain away. Anything less than 2 hours and your soil drains� too quickly and needs more organic matter to slow that drainage down. Anything over 6 hours and the soil drains too slowly and needs lots of organic matter to speed it up.

3) Tilth. Take a handful of your slightly damp soil and squeeze it tightly. When the pressure is released the soil should hold together in that clump, but when poked with a finger that clump should fall apart.

4) Smell. What does your soil smell like? A pleasant, rich earthy odor? Putrid, offensive, repugnant odor? The more organic matter in your soil the more active the soil bacteria will be and the nicer your soil will smell.

5) Life. How many earthworms per shovel full were there? 5 or more indicates a pretty healthy soil. Fewer than 5, according to the Natural Resources Conservation Service, indicates a soil that is not healthy.
    to see what else your soil might need. Get your soil into a good healthy condition and the grass will grow in and help you control any "weeds" there may be.

• dchall_san_antonio
    13 years ago

Look for the Organic Lawn Care FAQ over on the Organic Gardening Forum. Read that and come back to ask your question.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz