Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rutgers1_gw

Scotts organic as a winterizer

rutgers1
16 years ago

Did anyone else use the Scotts Organic Choice Lawn Food as a winterizer?

I live in one of those developments where you can pass about 100 houses in about 15 seconds of driving, and I have been amazed by my spring greenup compared to other lawns. I would say that 90% have services taking care of them, so it isn't like they are neglected. My winterizing consisted of mulching up a lot of leaves with my mower and applying the Scotts.

Anyone else? And if you didn't, I would love to see some people give it a shot this year and let us know how it worked in the spring.

Comments (12)

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

No, I used Scott's Winterizer. Greenup is slow this year, but I expected that on a first year lawn, and the weather here hasn't been cooperating very well.

With where you are and your earlier photo, I'm impressed enough that I'm giving it a try this year. Warranted, second year greenup will be a bit earlier and faster as well.

• decklap
    16 years ago

My home lawn has been organic for 7 years now and Im always the first to green up regardless of which fert I've used and I've used a lot. Restore, Cock-a-doodle-do, Milorganite, Scotts, and SBM.

I'd say mulching those leaves into the soil is probably helping at least as much as the winter fert. When the soil warms and the little beasties can start processing that organic matter you're going to get a nice green up.

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

decklap, great to hear. My uncle is the first to green up on his block, using only cockadoodledoo.

• garett
    16 years ago

what is suppose to be so special about scotts winterizer?

• decklap
    16 years ago

Nothing other than an insanely high percentage of nitrogen. I'd suspect any number of other products work about the same

• m1shmosh
    16 years ago

Fertilizer is only one factor in spring greenup. I think more importantly is what types of grass you have. For example, Midnight-type KBG's are known for very long winter dormancy and late spring greenup. Other cultivars are known for much better winter color retention and performance. I don't expect to see my lawn (Midnight and Compact-type cultivars) "waking up" until late april, no matter what winterizer was put down. My lawn is one of the last to greenup but I've learned to accept this.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

it's only percentage. It just means you can cover more area with less bulk. It also matters what is it in the product. If I recall, Scotts organic contain feather meal, blood meal, meat meal to name a few and feather meal and blood meal contain the highest percentage of protein by weight. Feather meal breaks down very slowly. Blood meal works extremely fast. No idea on meat meal since there doesn't seem to be much info about it as fertilizer.

• garett
    16 years ago

well that actually sounds like a decent product. something to react quickly, like the chemicals, and at the same time getting some long term action, like grains.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

Another factor in spring green up is moisture. Did you water more or less than the neighbors over the past few weeks? It could be the organic fert resulted in a better water holding capacity?????

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't water yet. I don't start until it gets much warmer. It is still cold here. I am about as far north as you can get in New Jersey.

• m1shmosh
    16 years ago

I don't think I've every needed to water in the spring. Mother Nature does all the work. It takes a good while just to even dry out from winter thaws.

• rdak
    15 years ago

Me either shmosh! Springs in Michigan are usually VERY wet! LOL!!

Interesting info. on Scotts Winterizer, never heard of it.

Thanks for the info.

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA