Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scotts organic as a winterizer

Posted by rutgers1 6NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 08 at 21:58

Did anyone else use the Scotts Organic Choice Lawn Food as a winterizer?

I live in one of those developments where you can pass about 100 houses in about 15 seconds of driving, and I have been amazed by my spring greenup compared to other lawns. I would say that 90% have services taking care of them, so it isn't like they are neglected. My winterizing consisted of mulching up a lot of leaves with my mower and applying the Scotts.

Anyone else? And if you didn't, I would love to see some people give it a shot this year and let us know how it worked in the spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scotts organic as a winterizer

No, I used Scott's Winterizer. Greenup is slow this year, but I expected that on a first year lawn, and the weather here hasn't been cooperating very well.

With where you are and your earlier photo, I'm impressed enough that I'm giving it a try this year. Warranted, second year greenup will be a bit earlier and faster as well.

o

My home lawn has been organic for 7 years now and Im always the first to green up regardless of which fert I've used and I've used a lot. Restore, Cock-a-doodle-do, Milorganite, Scotts, and SBM.

I'd say mulching those leaves into the soil is probably helping at least as much as the winter fert. When the soil warms and the little beasties can start processing that organic matter you're going to get a nice green up.

o

decklap, great to hear. My uncle is the first to green up on his block, using only cockadoodledoo.

o

what is suppose to be so special about scotts winterizer?

o

Nothing other than an insanely high percentage of nitrogen. I'd suspect any number of other products work about the same

o

Fertilizer is only one factor in spring greenup. I think more importantly is what types of grass you have. For example, Midnight-type KBG's are known for very long winter dormancy and late spring greenup. Other cultivars are known for much better winter color retention and performance. I don't expect to see my lawn (Midnight and Compact-type cultivars) "waking up" until late april, no matter what winterizer was put down. My lawn is one of the last to greenup but I've learned to accept this.

o

it's only percentage. It just means you can cover more area with less bulk. It also matters what is it in the product. If I recall, Scotts organic contain feather meal, blood meal, meat meal to name a few and feather meal and blood meal contain the highest percentage of protein by weight. Feather meal breaks down very slowly. Blood meal works extremely fast. No idea on meat meal since there doesn't seem to be much info about it as fertilizer.

o

well that actually sounds like a decent product. something to react quickly, like the chemicals, and at the same time getting some long term action, like grains.

o

Another factor in spring green up is moisture. Did you water more or less than the neighbors over the past few weeks? It could be the organic fert resulted in a better water holding capacity?????

o

I don't water yet. I don't start until it gets much warmer. It is still cold here. I am about as far north as you can get in New Jersey.

o

I don't think I've every needed to water in the spring. Mother Nature does all the work. It takes a good while just to even dry out from winter thaws.

o

• Posted by rdak z5MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 6, 08 at 8:47

Me either shmosh! Springs in Michigan are usually VERY wet! LOL!!

Interesting info. on Scotts Winterizer, never heard of it.

Thanks for the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here