Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xploit

Tampa CGM

xploit
15 years ago

Anyone know where to get CGM in Tampa? Also, if there is a feed store that sells Alfalfa, Soy Bean, etc, that would be appreciated also.

Thanks

Comments (28)

• tpilews
    15 years ago

Remington Feed on 301, just north of Boyette Rd. in Riverview. They have to order Soy Bean Meal from their warehouse, but they can usually have it the next day. Just give them a call.

• tpilews
    15 years ago

I was at Remington Feed today, no go on the Soy Bean Meal. They can't or won't get it.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Here's how you find a feed store in the Internet age.

Go to Google maps

Type the following text into the search part
    feed store, tampa, fl
    or feed store, [your city here],[your state's initials here]

Click the search button.

The first several candidates are most likely real feed stores. When you get down the list you'll find car dealers and weird entries.

Start calling.

• tpilews
    15 years ago

Well, holy crap, it's that easy? Damn, why didn't I think of that? Thanks for your insight. As you obviously didn't read, a lot of these feed stores down here aren't carrying CGM, SBM, even CSM. Obviously, the OP was looking for someone from the area to give him a hand.

• billhill
    15 years ago

Well, holy crap, aren't you the nice guy. You signed up two day's ago. You can go back to the rude forum if you like.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

tpilews,
    Yes it is just that easy. Based on the numbers of times that question is asked, apparently the answer is not obvious.

I suspect the reason you didn't think of it is because you were busy building your vocabulary with as many four letter words and three letter acronyms as you could remember.

• tpilews
    15 years ago

I wasn't even the original poster. It wasn't my question. I was just trying to help the guy considering we are in the same city. Apparently these forums aren't for getting help with your lawn.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Mostly what we do here is reply to people's questions. Whether the reply is in answer to the original question is up to individual interpretation. However, when we believe someone did not answer the question, we don't berate or bully the person making the reply. This is a cardinal rule of forum etiquette. Why is this a rule? Because if every one of these posts had a reply like yours in them, all the potential answerers would flee in fear of your derision. Forums would not exist.

As you can see from my reply to you above, I am working on the same issue

• tpilews
    15 years ago

Okay, I apologize for being short with you. Obviously, the original poster doesn't care enough because he has not replied to any responses.

• xploit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry about that folks. I was fully expecting to get some kind of email when there was a reply, but didn't get any. I called a couple feed stores a few weeks ago to check if they had any CGM. Most haven't even herd of it. I called about 3-4 different places. I'll see if I have better luck with Alfalfa, SBM, CM. Thanks

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

Did you ask them for CGM or Corn Gluten Meal? We tend to abbreviate it here, but maybe the feed stores wouldn't recognize it that way.

• xploit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Corn Gluten Meal

• xploit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just called up a place called "feed depot". These were the prices I got. Not sure if they are in-line with the average.

Alfalfa Meal -- $14.99 -- 20 lbs
    SBM -- $18.99 -- 50 lbs
    CSM -- ?? -- 3 lbs

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Okay, I apologize for being short with you.

No hard feelings, welcome to the forum.

Prices vary considerably depending on shipping costs. Here are some prices in my area

Alfalfa pellets (rabbit food) - $12 for 50 pounds
    SBM - $40 for 50 pounds
    CSM - unavailable in bulk
    Ordinary corn meal - $8.75 for 50 pounds
    Used coffee grounds - Free at Starbucks

• xploit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is Alfalfa Meal usually considerably more expensive than Alfalfa Pellets? Is one better than the other?

• tpilews
    15 years ago

Xploit, check out this place called Amber Glen. Others on this forum have gotten Soybean Meal from there and have said their prices are the best around. That was from last year, so I don't know what they have available this year.

Here's the website:

http://tampabay.citysearch.com/profile/46243267

• tpilews
    15 years ago

Okay, Amber Glen doesn't carry it anymore. So, apparently this "Feed Depot" is the only place that carries it. I'll have to get on over there.

• xploit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These two places are in plant city, they also carry SBM:

SouthSide Farm Supply
    Stevens Hardware

I don't know their exact price, but it was a couple dollars cheaper then Feed Depot

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

I've never seen alfalfa meal but I know it's around somewhere. I must live in pellet country. Neither one is better than the other. Pellets need to be moistened slightly after you apply so they will swell and soften. Otherwise you might get critters in your yard carrying or flying them away.

• billhill
    15 years ago

There is alfalfa pellets, 1/2 inch diameter 1 inch long horse feed. Cannot be applied via regular lawn spreader. This one is TOO BIG. Alfalfa meal is very dusty, blows all around, in your shoes, your pants, your face and hair. This one is TOO SMALL. And then there is the tiny pellets for rabbit food. This one is JUST RIGHT. Its all alfalfa and works the same. Rabbit,gerbil,guineau pig food spreads easily through lawn spreaders. I found horse pellets more expensive than rabbit food. Getting back to the topic of CGM, If you cannot find it at a reasonable price, then use Soybean meal. As far as crabgrass prevention, What you should know is that it takes time and numerous applications of CGM over a number of seasons for it to even approach the effectiveness of readily available synthetics. It also takes rather large applications, something like 20# per thousand sq. ft. Repeatedly. Have you read the Organic Lawncare FAQ Bill Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic lawncare FAQ

• xploit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info Bill. I have read most of the FAQ, still have to complete all of it. As for CGM, i think i can continue to hand pick the weeds. The only ones that give me an issue are the clovers.

• skoot_cat
    15 years ago

NO one around this area carries SBM anymore. Trust me I've searched high and low. There are a few places that will order it for you but the price is about $21.00 to $24.00 a bag. Every Feed store should have Alfalfa pellets.

I use to get my SBM from Amber Glenn but they no longer carry it because of low demand. Im currently working on them to carry SBM again, If there are more people who want it im sure they will get it again. Keep calling them and let them know you want some.

• skoot_cat
    15 years ago

Oops your looking for CGM. There's not a feed store in FL that carries CGM Ive looked.

• tpilews
    15 years ago

Scoot,

Southside Farm Supply in Plant City has it in stock for $14.99 a bag.

A little closer to you, Feed Depot, in Tampa on N Nebraska Ave, has it for $18.99.

• tpilews
    15 years ago

I called over there and they were very rude. I'll take my business elsewhere.

• skoot_cat
    15 years ago

Cool thanks for the info. I would double check and make sure it's not Plain Corn Meal (especially at 14.99 a bag). As of last year, when I called around, most feed stores didn't even know what CGM was let alone where to get it from.

• xploit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have called both Feed Depot and SouthSide. They both carry Corn Meal, not Corn Gluten Meal.

• xploit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not sure if anyone is still looking for SBM. I picked up 4 bags yesterday for $60 from SouthSide Feed in plant city.