Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garethx1

Creeping bentgrass strategy?

garethx1
15 years ago

Anyone have any advice or suggestions for combating Creeping bentgrass? Any plants that can ou-tcompete it? It doesnt seem to do well in the shade, should i go with bamboo around the perifery? Clover? Mint? what could screw it up and deplete it's needed requirements while helping itself?

Any suggestions would help.

Comments (7)

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

I'd kill it and start over. You can use vinegar or solarization (get it nice and moist and cover with clear plastic when it's going to be hot and sunny for a few days.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

According to the people at North Carolina State University solarizing soil to kill of unwanted growth can take 12 weeks, provided you have ample sunshine and few cloudy days. Quack grass will, eventually, replace bentgrass but you probably want that even less than the bentgrass. The one place I had this growing where I did not want it I tilled it in and have not seen it since.

• garycinchicago
    15 years ago

> "Quack grass will, eventually, replace bentgrass but you probably want that even less than the bentgrass."

Exactly, so why even bother mentioning it?

There's a new herbicide. Let me find it and we'll see if it is available for home owner use.

• garycinchicago
    15 years ago

Well, I see I have to retract my offer now that I realize this is the ORGANIC lawn care forum.

I'll just back out now with one foot stuck in my mouth, thank you.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Thank you for your restraint, Gary. I was ready to pounce ;-)

I think kimmsr's mention of quack grass was a good one. There are some things you have to watch out for when you do things to the yard.

A friend of mine manages a golf course with bentgrass and clover. They coexist just fine. You might consider going with the bentgrass and saving yourself the grief of fighting it. We have some orchard growers in Texas who have given up the fight against nutgrass. The grass does little harm to the orchard but the cost of fighting it was killing their profits.

• garethx1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. Solarization might help. I'm really looking for something that might out compete or at least compete with it anywhere I'm dumb enough to pull it up. I know I will probably get rid of it totally, so a good competitor would probably help. how about mint?

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Keep in mind that many of the newer cultivars of Kentucky Bluegrass may be too wimpy to compete with bentgrass, although Perennial Rye may be able to replace it.