Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroot

New lawn, what to put down

caroot
14 years ago

Hi everyone, new person here. The last few days I have been reading alot in the lawn care forum.

I am interested in using organics as my fert but need help as I am new to organics.

I seeded a new lawn last fall w/kbg/rye

So far this spring it is coming in great. I fertilized in late march with turf builder.

Is it safe to use organics on the new lawn? I would assume yes

so my next question would be fertilize with what? When? and how much? How about after that?

Another question about organics is can they be used too act as a preemergent, like for crabgrass or other weeds? or a post-emergent?

Any specific rules regarding the use of organics on a lawn? Do's? Dont's?

What would a typical organic fertilizer schedule look like for the year?

Sorry for so many questions

Thank you very much

Comments (9)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Simply substituting one type of fertilizer ("organic" for synthetic) is not what your lawn really needs. Doing so is somewhat better overall but looking at your soil and making that into a good, healthy soil that will grow a strong and healthy plant is what is needed.
    How much organic matter is in your soil?
    How well does your soil drain?
    What does your soil smell like?
    How good is the soils tilth (workability)?
    What kind of life is in your soil?

• caroot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I have not had a soil test but here is what I have done so far to amend the soil;

1. last fall when our ash tree dropped it's leaves (I know having the lawn mower on the new grass was probably not the best for it) but I mulched up all the leaves and there were alot.

2.This spring I covered the yard with compost (I can get compost for free here from the parks dept.)

3. When it rains I see quite a few nightcrawlers the next morning.

4. I have not smelled the soil yet.

5. It seems to drain good. Do not notice any pooling.

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

You covered the yard with compost???? Uh, can you still see all the grass? If not you might have killed your lawn for this season. The app rate for compost is 1 cubic yard per 1,000 square feet. They you have to sweep it down into the turf with a push broom or a chain link fence "drag." The idea is to lift the grass blades out from under the compost.

Look on either the general Internet for Organic Lawn Care FAQ or it is posted on the FAQ at the GardenWeb Organic Gardening forum. That will help you with the answers to your questions.

• caroot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I didn't exactly "cover" the yard, besides that has been about 3 weeks ago and the grass has exploded since then. And no it didn't actually "explode" ;)

• west9491
    14 years ago

Is it safe to use organics on the new lawn?
    >>>>>yes, if you have worms then your lawn is already on an organic method :)

so my next question would be fertilize with what? When? and how much? How about after that?
    >>>>>you can use many of the "meals" provided at feed stores (alfalfa, corn gluten, soybean, cotton seed)

Another question about organics is can they be used too act as a preemergent, like for crabgrass or other weeds? or a post-emergent?
    >>>>>corn gluten meal can be used as a preemergent, but this quality can only be utilized if the timing is right, which is during the spring, before weed seeds germinate. Some go by the rule of thumb to apply preemergents when the forsythias begin bloom.

Any specific rules regarding the use of organics on a lawn?
    >>>>>you're on the right track so far. just remember, everything that you put on your lawn will contribute to your soil's tilth as the organism break it down. so don't forget to mulch mow some leaves into your lawn this fall.

What would a typical organic fertilizer schedule look like for the year? some do it 3/4 times per year, i try to but usually forget. and go by your own judgement, does your lawn look strong, thick, and green??

• caroot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can get SBM #50 for 12.50
    cracked corn for 7.50. Have not found CGM or CM yet.

I honestly can say that I am not exactly into all this "green" stuff or earth day and what not but going organic on the lawn makes a lot of sense. I'm tempted just to throw down some cracked corn to see what kind of birds it draws in..lol

Thanks for all the responses.

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

"Any specific rules regarding the use of organics on a lawn? "

Organics should only be spread on a day ending in "Y".

• caroot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Organics should only be spread on a day ending in "Y"."

That about answers it all. :)

I put down SBM today. I'm thinking about getting cracked corn as well. My 4 yr old and I could have fun throwing it around the yard.
    Perhaps we'll throw some at mom, lol

What benifits does cracked corn provide? It should be noted that we already get a decent amount of birds in the yard but I would assume with the CC, that will go up much higher.

Thanks again

• bgtimber75
    14 years ago

I didn't notice a huge increase of birds. I think I saw some crows grazing one day but that was it. I do see the squirrels nibbling on it though. I hope a significant amount of it actually stayed and broke down but I don't know.

Sponsored