Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going organic and need advice quick! Zone 5 Boston area

Posted by mulchie 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 7:34

We have a house with a truly miserable lawn, lots of shade, and appalling grass that had been fed and watered and chemed (we suppose) to the max. Two years here without any lawn service dudes and the thing is half dead and full of weeds. A mess. Since we don't want the chems or the merry-go-round of commercial lawn care, we are trying to go organic. I just reseeded with Pearl's premium which we are now watering in. I'd like to add some organic fert and need some advice.
Ph around 6.0 - 6.5. Low on organics.
Considering:
Ringer's Lawn Care
Scott's Organic
>?????
Thanks. Hoping to get to this soon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going organic and need advice quick! Zone 5 Boston area

Have you considered, or are you able to "fix" your shade problem?

o

Oh, ancient trees and a temporary stay here. This is one thing that can't happen.

o

If money is a consideration, find the Organic Lawn Care FAQ on the Organic Gardening forum here at GW. Read up on the modern organic way to handle lawns. That was written back when corn was $3 for 50 pounds. Today it is more like $20 for the same bag. I'd go with alfalfa today. And don't be shy with it. The more you use the better your lawn will become and faster. The plain brown bags from the feed store will cost about 1/6 what the Scott's or Ringers will cost.

o

Thanks. I laid down some Scotts "natural" which I don't think is too natural. I'm going to folo with alfalfa as soon as I can get my hands on some. Then no more Scotts for me. Weeding by hand, meanwhile. Some areas are starting to do well, but I've got a few places with very poor soil and a significant weed invasion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here