Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enigma7_gw

jagged blades after cut with NEW blade

enigma7
16 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have cut my lawn for the second time this year now and am pretty discouraged. I have a 6hp Murray mower (Briggs & Stratton engine), and just put a NEW Gatorblade mulching blade on.

I mowed and bagged my clippings due to the crab grass seed sprouts I didn't want to reintroduce back into the soil, but I don't think that's the issue. When I mow I go over each spot forward and backwards to get a nice even cut that when bagging picks up stray grass that would just lay on the ground, or when mulching makes sure all the grass is mulched well. Again I don't think this is a reason.

But basically when I look up close the grass looks pretty torn. I don't expect a perfect cut like a reel mower, but would have expected something a bit cleaner than what I'm seeing with a totally new blade.

I've heard before that a mower with a slower blade than optimal will tear blades. My mower is only 3-4 years old and I take good care of it in terms of oil changes, gas, etc. Is there a throttle control screw or something I could temporarily turn the rpms up to test if this is the problem? I looked quickly over the mower after the last cut and couldn't find anything obvious.

Thanks in advance

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor