Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just found this board...question about different grasses.

Posted by thundersweet 30075 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 08 at 8:08

I just found this board. I have been wanting to learn about organic lawn care but had no idea where to start. My one concern is we have a huge lawn. I have a question though. Do you treat all grasses the same? We have a large front lawn with Bermuda and side and back yards are fescue. Not sure why the previous owners did it that way but thats what we have. Will I need to have seperate lawn care grograms for each type of grass? Or can it all be treated the same?

I have lots of reading to do!

Thanks,
Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just found this board...question about different grasses.

Broadly speaking when you move toward an organic approach you're not treating the grass/plant/tree you're treating the soil it grows in and letting the soil do the work for you naturally. So no. It doesn't matter how many kinds of grass you have in your yard you really wont need to deal with them any differently from a fertilizing perspective.

o

That makes since. That will definitely make things easier for me.

Thanks,
Sandy

o

...but, bermuda and tall fescue are 2 different cut heights for optimum performance. However, in the transition zone many lawns are mixed and cut at the same height. Depends on what you are after.

o

• Posted by okcdan 7 OKC - Bermuda (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 12:31

Sandy, when you're on that riding mower, keep the blade deck up to it's highest position when you're mowing your side & back yards with fescue, then when you go to the front yard, drop the deck to the lowest setting on your bermuda. Your watering can be done the same for all your grass, and the fertilizing could be done the same for all, but you might want to sneak in an extra application or two throughout the year on the front bermudagrass.

Good day, Dan

o

Where do you live?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here