Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on using alfalfa pellets to fertilize St. Augustine

Posted by keithw Zone 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 8:28

I have Raleigh SA in Virginia Beach. Last season I started to move towards organic fertilizer. I have been putting down cracked corn and alfalfa pellets a few times per year. I read that I should be using ground/meal for both but I cannot seem to find any meal, only chopped corn and alfalfa pellets. Am I wasting my efforts with these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on using alfalfa pellets to fertilize St. Augustine

Not sure where your getting this from. Most people use pellets.

o

I use ground corn meal that I get from a feed store for fungus problems in my St. Augustine (like brown patch). It does not have much in the way of protein compared to others to use as a fertilizer.

For my fertilizer, I use alfalfa pellets. I just throw them like I'm throwing chicken feed and then water them in so the birds and squirrels won't carry them off. Right now in my area, this is the cheapest option, and I get 50# bags at my local Tractor Supply Co. But, just about any feed store will carry it. It's just about how cheap can you find it.

o

I have been using cracked corn for the fungus problem. I used to get brown patch pretty extensively each spring. Not sure if it has done anything but I am preparing to put down my second batch of cracked corn. I did it last fall as well. Thanks for the info on the Alfalfa pellets. Glad to hear it.

o

Did you try soy bean meal? I put it down and really like the results. It was difficult to find but then I checked Craigslist and the horse farms had it. This is Orlando area so I think you will find it up there too. There is CGM in a liquid form now and you might try that too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here