Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msa62001

So much 'junk', so little grass. Is there hope?

msa62001
15 years ago

Central VA. I aerated, seeded, rolled, and did some Milorganite (last time I'll do that, having now read a bit more about it), and did the best watering I could....mostly praying for rain (too much grass to water with my well volume). Let it grow for a couple of weeks and it looked pretty crummy...some grass, but so much other junk. Stuff I don't know the name of, clover, etc. I did get some new grass (yeah! there's hope), but there's still all that junk!

Of course, when I cut it (most of it) yesterday, it looks more acceptable. But I really would love to get to 90% TTFF and 10% junk, say. Is there hope? Been at this a couple of years after we built our house...hydroseeded, and one prior seeding (spring as well, but had little rain and lot of heat). Didn't seed last fall...there was a drought so there was no point.

So what's a guy to do? Do the soybean meal thing four times per year, give it a good seeding this fall (presuming we have some rain), and hope that the good grass will crowd out the junk? Or do I need to do more, or something else? Or do I live with the reality of a so so yard, given that I'm not going to dump loads of chemicals on it?

Thanks.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting