Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seven333

Soybean meal, etc in SE PA?

seven333
15 years ago

I called a feed store in Exton, PA and was told that soybean meal was $23 for a 50 pound bag...this seems high from what I've been reading here. Anyone in the area know of a good source of SBM or other grain for fertilizing? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• doopstr
    15 years ago

Just paid $15 in Hillsborough NJ.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Keep in mind that most of the soybeans grown in the USA today are the genetically engineered types unless you can find certified organic soybeans.

• kelleynelson
    15 years ago

Doop, I'm picking mine up from Belle Meade tomorrow AM :) They're nice folks.

• doopstr
    15 years ago

Agree, happy with their service. I was going to drop the SBM today but to windy. Tomorrow is looking good.

• andy10917
    15 years ago

"Keep in mind that most of the soybeans grown in the USA today are the genetically engineered types unless you can find certified organic soybeans."

Why would that matter if it is being used for fertilizer? The genetic material will be completely lost as the product decomposes. I'd be way more concerned about the chemicals that were used when they were grown.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Why would that matter if it is being used for fertilizer? The genetic material will be completely lost as the product decomposes.

When one species eats the protein from another species, the "predator" species decomposes the protein into amino acids and reuses the amino acids to make new proteins. With that in mind there are three theoretical issues that I think I know of. One is that the modified genes can be absorbed in their modified form by microbes and passed on through the soil food web to other plant species. Two is that the modified genes cannot be absorbed by the soil microbes and the microbes will get no nutrition out of them. Third is that the modified genes will be recombined into some mutant proteins that are ultimately a hazard of some kind. Whether these are real issues or not I can't tell you. There may be more issues that I'm not aware of.

• seven333
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, guys...went to another feed store in Gap, PA and got a 50# bag for $15. I think the bag said Blue Star or something like that. They only had 1 in stock so I ordered 2 more. The manager said they've received quite a few requests so he's going to start carrying it in stock. Yay! One thing I noticed is that there was something else in the bag, almost like a dried molasses or something. Smelled sweet and was in lumps. Anyone seen this before?

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

One thing I noticed is that there was something else in the bag, almost like a dried molasses or something. Smelled sweet and was in lumps.

Reminds me of an old favorite joke for 4th graders: What's slimy and tastes like bananas? Monkey spit.

So did you taste the lumps in the bag?

It is probably a mass of insects and the resulting insect poop. You need to use that bag this summer and not store it any longer than is practical. That lump is still very good for the lawn. Just break it up first (wearing gloves would be a good suggestion).

• seven333
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't think of insects but to me it didn't look that way. The pieces were flat, maybe 1/8th inch think and sheet-like. It smelled very sweet and was pliable. I'll take pictures if the bags I'm getting this weekend have any. I did break them up and place on the lawn...maybe I'll check if any survived the recent rains.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Look for a slight grayish discoloration. That's about the only visual clue.