Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smitty5952

SBM and grass seed

smitty5952
16 years ago

It's too late to change this because I've already done it but I'm gonna ask anyhow. I broadcast SBM over my newly planted grass seed. I hope SBM isn't considered a pre-emergent?

Comments (7)

• v1rt
    16 years ago

I don't think so. CGM and CM is. I think, you should be fine.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

You are fine. Expect a surge of growth in about 3 weeks after SBM application. Usually, we recommend alfalfa pellet/meal about 2-3 weeks before seeding for them to break down and become usable nutrients for plants.

Corn gluten meal is pre-em so don't use it prior to planting seeds. It is just too expensive to be used for fertilizer in my area unfortunately because it'd mean less weeds over all round year.

• smitty5952
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys. As far as alfalfa pellet/meal when is that best applied? Also how do you apply the pellets since I assume the are too big for a spreader?

• grayentropy
    16 years ago

I live in New England and have a Red Fescue, KBG lawn.

I fertilize with cracked corn/corn meal (not CGM) in the spring. 20-40 lbs/ft^2 over two applications. First at the end of March, second now that the forsythia are in bloom. This provides a mild fertilizer to help the green up and avoid the growth spurts. Corn meal in my experience also acts as a pre-emergent (the benefits of CGM were found while using Corn meal)and fungacide for some fungus. I also sprayed milk in early April at 3 oz/gallon for red thread control.

In late August I will spread alfalfa meal/rabbit food (root growth). I reseed 3-4 weeks after. (10 lbs/1000 ft^2)
    Late September and October I will apply soybean meal (10 lb/1000 ft^2). The October feed helps with sping green up so don't skip it.

I spot treat "problem areas" with UCG, compost, extra grains etc.

All these grains go into my Agrafab broadcast spreader for my tractor. I spread with the chute wide open and usually need 2-3 passes to cover.

Hope that helps

• smitty5952
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks alot. Your treatment for red thread caught my attention since my lawn gets hit with that also. Do you use just regular whole milk? Thanks again.

• tmelrose
    16 years ago

What is red thread?

• smitty5952
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I usually get in in the spring when there's been a lot of moisture and humidity. From a distant it looks like patches of your lawn are dead but upon closer inspection the blades of grass are covered with a red gelatenous substance. I was told by the county agent it is caused by low N content and is difficult to control. I don't know if one type of grass is more suseptible to it or not. My lawn is Fescue and bluegrass.

Sponsored