Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corn Gluten Meal

Posted by nevermore44 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 9:51

I am going to try out the Corn Gluten Meal as a per-emergent this year. The only non grass weeds I typically get are dandelions and other misc things. Nothing too bad. I do have quake grass peppered throughout (from an ill decision years ago of using Kentucky 31 to over seed. I go around with a carpet knife and remove clumps as I see them). The quake grass doesn't form seed heads, so I know the CGM won't do anything for that.

So anyway... the question I have is that the feed store where I typically get the organic feed for the lawn from only has 50lb bags of 20% CGM. What's the deal with the "20%"? Since this is the only place i have available that sells feed ... I have nothing to compare it to. Is 20% normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corn Gluten Meal

That Corn Gluten Meal worked as a pre emergent plant growth suppressor was discovered by the people at Iowa State University and they patented what they discovered and have much information available about how CGM works and which products work. Keep in mind that not all CGM products do that as some people have discovered after spending their money.

Here is a link that might be useful: ISU on Corn GLuten Meal

o

Nevermore,

If you can locate it, a 1-0-0 liquid corn gluten would be more effective than the granular product and reduce the amount of weeds you'd have to contend with, overall.

I find that the liquid products go to work faster and I don't have to wait for them to break down.

o

looking into it more... 20% is the protein content.. which is also the difference between CG Feed and CG meal.

So i hunted down true CGM and it's $32 per 50lb... ouch. I will look around for the liquid.. thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here