Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canselmi_gw

Compost Tea vs Molasses Applied Directly to Lawn

canselmi
12 years ago

Not only am I new to organic lawn care, I am also new to caring for my lawn at all. So I've been doing lots and lots of reading and I came upon the idea of making compost tea. But I've been wondering...why go through the trouble of making compost tea when you could just apply molasses directly to the lawn? Perhaps I'm missing something, so here is a quick summary of how I understand the two processes:

1. Compost Tea

Basically, you're creating a perfect environment where microbes can thrive and multiply. You then apply the microbe-rich water to the lawn and they do their thing.

Sounds easy enough, but the down side is that it takes planning. (i.e., it takes time to brew it, then you have a certain amount of time to apply it, you have to make sure you'll have the time to apply it when it's ready, will it be raining?, etc.)

2. Molasses applied directly to the lawn

Instead of creating a microbe-rich water, you give extra food to the microbes that are already in your lawn. They will multiply and do their thing. Assuming you have the molasses on hand, you can do this at any time.

So it seems that applying molasses is easier. And then there is the question of the amount of microbes and how much your lawn can support. Sure the compost tea has a high concentration of microbes, but won't most of them die pretty soon, to a level that is in line with what the lawn can support?

To summarize in one sentence, isn't it better (and easier) to feed the microbes that are already in my lawn than to introduce more than the lawn can support?

Thanks in advance for the help on this.

Comments (6)

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Either one of those might be of benefit if your soil lacks an active Soil food Web. However, for either one to be of much use the soil your lawn is growing in needs to have an active Soil Food Web to convert those materials into something the plants growing in that soil can utilize, ie. nutrients.
    Does your soil have an adequate level of organic matter?

• canselmi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Does your soil have an adequate level of organic matter?"

Probably not. The house was built less than 2 years ago in a new subdivision. Since I've become more interested in my lawn, I've been paying attention to other lots as they have homes built on them. Basically after all the large trucks tear up the yard (cement trucks, brick layers, etc.) the contractor levels out the yard with a lot of sand.

Depending on where you dig in my yard, it's either mostly sand or a layer of clay then sand. I'm in the process of topdressing the lawn with compost, but I have only been able to do half of the back yard so far.

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

What I have seen happen, around here, with new developments is someone comes in and strips the "topsoil" to go to some other development and then after the houses are built they haul in more "topsoil" and spread a thin layer and either lay sod or seed that. Then people try to keep that lawn growing by pouring a lot of "fertilizer" on it which can make for a lush green, but sick lawn with numerous problems that then need pesticides to control.
    Short of tilling in what yuu have and starting over spreading compost is a good idea, mulch mow the grass to recycle in place those grass clippings which will help add more organic matter to the soil. If you have deciduous trees those leaves that fall from them every year can be mulch mowed in to provide evenmore organic matter.
    What organic matter will do in sandy soils is help keep moisture and nutrients in the root zone so the grass plants can be fed by the soil bacteia that digest that organic matter. In clay soils the OM seperates the soil particles so the plants roots can move about more freely and makes moisture and nutrients more readily available.
    Compost tea can provide some bacteria, and nutrients, tht would then feed on the organic matter in the soil. However, soils lacking sufficient levels of OM won't have much of anything for those bacteria to feed on so spraying the compost tea would be, largely, a waste of time, energy, and maybe money. Molasses can provide a food source for soil bacteria, if they are present because of adequate levels of organic matter. Spraying molasses onto soils lacking sufficient amounts of organic matter will not do much except waste your time, energy, and money.

• dchall_san_antonio
    12 years ago

canselmi, I agree with you. Molasses is more effective and easier.

You might want to read the Organic Lawn Care FAQ at the Organic Gardening forum. Then come back with more questions.

• freshair2townsquare
    12 years ago

I think you can buy compost tea - that would remove the time/effort element of that option.

Where in Texas are you? In the DFW Mid-Cities, I prefer to shop at Strong's Nursery on I35 in Carrollton or Marshall Grain on 121 in Grapevine. Both have knowledgeable employees and a decent selection of organic products.

I've bought Ladybug brand bagged products at both locations.

~ freshair

• canselmi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm just south of Houston.
    I am having trouble finding a feedstore. There is a Tractor Supply Company out in Katy, which is the closest I've found so far.

Sponsored