Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelleynelson

Sigh, wild onion

kelleynelson
17 years ago

This is my first spring in a new house.

Last year I had a very successful overseeding. Prior to the overseeding I did two treatments of selective herbicide. There was a HUGE infestation of creeping charlie that probably covered 1/3 the lawn area. Mechanical removal or cultural practice were not going to control that much charlie. The chems worked and I was able to overseed and not have charlie compete with my new seedlings.

Then I went organic - cockadoodle doo in the fall and CGM this spring. I've been very happy with the progress and feel great that the yard is safe for my dog and family.

However - This winter a TON of wild onion has cropped up. Again, it's too much to hand-remove. Am I going to massacre my micro-herd if I do some localized applications to control the onion?

The product I used previously had these active ingredients - 2,4-D,Mecroprop, Dicamba, Sulfentrazone.

If I ignore the wild onion, will I be able to strangthen my turf to the point where it could choke out the onion next year? Given the fact that the onion sprouts came up before my grass came out of dormancy, I doubt it.

Feeling guilty -

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES