Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petalpatsy

lawn conversion

petalpatsy
15 years ago

My neighbors complimented my lawn, and seemed interested in getting away from the intensive fertilizing program they are on (every month.)

I did my lawn haphazardly with on sale greensand (?thirty pounds?), a bunch of SB coffee ground, and some left over alfalfa pellets. Then, also, I had several buckets of finished compost left over when even I was out of flowers to put it on. Pretty much, when my daylilies were given all they could possibly want, if I had more I threw it around on the front yard so I wouldn't clutter up my already embarassing garage. Often at night, by the light of the full moon.

Now, they take their lawn seriously, and seem to just love taking care of grass. They mow tall and often, water deeply, and sharpen their blades every week (for cutting four yards.) They fertilize spring, every month, and fall with aeration and overseeding. They spray a broadleaf herbicide.

Their yard still gets kinda streaky/patchy with spots she calls "neon green".

I didn't have a good, short answer, but I suggested some greensand, maybe for some iron, but I don't know if it will work without a more living soil.

What do you think?

And, if they wanted to go more organic, do "yard people" put on greensand every year?

Comments (2)

Sponsored