Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tex_jas

yogurt as a source of soil microbes?

tex_jas
16 years ago

Hi folks...

Wayyyyyy back when I first started looking into organic lawn care (about 4 weeks ago), I was looking for ways to reverse a thatch problem (that didn't involve manual labor).

I started understanding more and more about everything I was doing wrong (as I've confessed to in my other recent thread here on applying a compost tea and questions about my grass yellowing/dying).

When the soil/lawn life cycle started making sense to me, I came to the conclusion that if things aren't decomposing fast enough, then the lawn must be defficient in microbes. One of the first articles I came across on adding more microbes mentioned spraying on yogurt (specifically Stonyfield since they add more cultures) because "Lactobacillus bacteria is a world class bio-dethatch".

Seemed logical to me, and I expected to find a lot of references stating the same. I've searched the web up and down and never found anything similar. I found compost tea shortly after that and am taking that route, but was still kinda curious about yogurt (maybe yogurt as an ingredient in compost tea??).

I did spray a small section w/ yogurt (diluted in a hose-end sprayer) before I found AACT. Didn't appear to hurt the lawn, but I don't know that it helped it any.

Anyway, was just curious if anyone had opinions on this. The article is here: http://www.pure-prairie-organics.com/top-ten-tips.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to yogurt reference

Comments (12)

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

Second that. I've never heard of yogurt as a lawn additive, but I can't say it *wouldn't* work in sufficient quantities.

Diluted molasses is great (and cheaper), or you can go quick and dirty and hand-spread the cheapest sugar you can get. It's not as quick with the sugar since it has to break down more, but it does seem to get the job done. The molasses is a bit more work.

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

You can get, literally - tons, more of the stuff that is raring to start to work by adding compost.

Yogurt probably is fine, as far as it goes, but, its just a drop in the bucket. A similar reason is why I stopped going around picking up coffee grounds. They're fine, but compost in bulk is just so much easier and faster. Add in the gas I was spending running around getting it a few gallons at a time versus a pickup load of compost as I do now, and the cost is probably better too.

More is often simply better.

Of course, any sugar will help the microbes that are there get busy.

• tex_jas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I'll let it go and leave the yogurt for smoothies. :)

I use molasses at the start of making compost tea like most everyone else... Since there's a pretty good consensus in using molasses for thatch (I assume to energize the microbes rather than having some direct effect on the thatch itself), is there any harm or benefit in mixing in more to my tea immediately prior to spraying it on? Any suggestions on amount per gallon if there's reason to do it?

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

is there any harm or benefit in mixing in more to my tea immediately prior to spraying it on?

The experts would need to chime in on this. However, at least from the biochemical perspective, adding a ton of sugar isn't a great idea. Your aeration system probably can't keep up with the oxygen consumption if you go too high, and the tea definitely shouldn't be allowed to be anaerobic or sub-stoichiometric on oxygen levels.

Oddly, that word is in my computer's dictionary. I'm amazed.

• tex_jas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's a big word... ;)

I was actually meaning immediately prior to spraying it on the lawn... In other words, getting it and the tea onto the lawn before the little guys had a chance to digest it.

When I applied it last week, I used a hose-end sprayer (w/ chlorine filter). I left most of the batch of tea aerating up until the point that I needed it (sprayer reached empty). IF there'd be any benefit, I would be putting the molasses straight into the hose-end sprayer along with some tea, giving it a good swirl, then spray it on.

Just thinking out loud... No idea if there'd be any gains from this! I'm actually still a little confused about molasses/sugar applications altogether... Seems like that encourages them to eat the sugars rather than the things I'd prefer them to be munching on (dead grass). Or does that just make them think they're in utopia and multiply?

• naeemah1000
    8 years ago

Hi I recently viewed a video of a TV show based in Korea in this video the mushroom farmer would take 3 diff types of wood grind them finely then add yogurt to create mushrooms yogurt is special for more then meal consumption to what extent I do not know but the question you asked deserves some more investigation.

• kimmq
    8 years ago

There is a school of thought that a source of bacteria needs to be added to make composting work (ie. the compost starter myth), but usually that is pushed by people with something to sell that you do not need.

If the yogurt is not edible (I cannot image any yogurt being around that long) you can add it to a compost pile, but it is not something that a compost pile needs.

kimmq is kimmsr

• rmontcal
    8 years ago

My issues are that: (1) My 3-yr old sometimes wastes yogurt and I'm not sure what to do with it AND (2) ants. Not sure how to balance there two. I just put two very diluted wasted yogurts into the pile and I guess we'll see/

The other thing that I've read about is milk proteins breaking down dead wood. We have an old stump. Should I put the yogurt there to accelerate the decomp process?

• PRO
    Holganix
    8 years ago

You can get the best of all worlds with Holganix, a plant probiotic that is like yogurt for your lawn! It contains living microorganisms just like yogurt along with the food sources to keep them happy! You can get more info here: www.holganix.com.

• PRO
    J Gil Organic
    8 years ago

I grow shiitake mushrooms on logs. Many of my friends do it also. I will ask them about the yogurt tomorrow. I'm intrigued now...

• Blue Jay
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I seriously doubt the molasses benefit to lawns. Do your actual research and post any reviewable study on the use of sugars in the lawn. Here is a posting from the University of Oregon on the subject that should put to rest a lot of the myths:

Q: Is there any scientific proof showing that molasses is good for plants? I've been advised by a friend to add 2 to 4 tablespoons of molasses to a gallon of water every two weeks per plant.

– Multnomah County

A: Thank you for your question. The only scientific research I can find directly applicable to your question is a 1957 article. As you can imagine, in the intervening 60-plus years, far more is known about soil itself, microorganisms that live there, and nutrients.

Molasses is refined from sugarcane or beets and is mainly a carbohydrate (sugar). Blackstrap molasses contains vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, iron and manganese. The last four are nutrients needed by plants in small amounts (micronutrients). There has also been some research into the addition of molasses, as a nutrient, to compost tea that you can read about. There are other organic and chemical means to supply plants these nutrients, which are researched and have measurements of their contents, an advantage your molasses container lacks (and which, of course, is greatly diluted by the addition of water recommended by your friend.)

– Kris LaMar, OSU Extension Master Gardener

As far as compost tea goes. Depending on how it is derived the brew can result in someone getting mighty sick. Studies have shown high values for pathogens like salmonella, listeria, etc. All of which can put you in the hospital. The University of Arizona has a great review of compost tea and after reading it and other scientific evaluations, there is no way I'm using compost tea. Not worth the effort.

Everybody wants a magic bullet. In my opinion, the best approach is to get a good soil test, review the data, and address nutrient issues via solid data. Nothing is better than topdressing in the fall with a good compost mixture, aeration, etc. Nowadays there are several cheap machines that can easily dethatch a yard without back breaking raking. I believe Ryobi is coming out with a battery operated model.

Put the time in, forget the lawn myths, and save yourself from a lot of frustration and time lost.