Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grubs

Posted by xdodgemanx michigan (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 12:19

Just wondering what everyone here does about grub control....do you use grubex or is there some earth friendly way of getting rid of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grubs

Beneficial nematodes and milky spore are two "Organic" approaches to insect control in lawns. I believe that a healthy lawn can support quite few grubs living in it. Since this is the "Organic" lawn forum, many here believe that there is little or no need to kill the living organism in your lawn with chemicals. Do you know what else grub X takes out ? Have you determined how bad your grub problem really is ? Bill Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Lawncare FAQ

o

Bill is right. A healthy lawn should be able to withstand a grub population of several hundred grubs without seeing any damage. If you've got more than 10-12 JBG per 1000 sq. ft. then you have an issue, otherwise not. Don't overwater in the early June and don't let your soil get too dry in August and you'll be creating an enviroment that tends to de-select for grubs. If you need to treat nematodes absolutely rock.

o

If you need to treat nematodes absolutely rock.

And roll. For long-term control, Milky Sport is very effective. For a quick population drop, nematodes are great.

Combine the two and you can kill most of the grubs in your lawn and keep them from coming back for a decade or so. The adult beetles will still be there as your neighbors' lawns will harbor them, but they don't last long.

o

Thanks for the help. My real problems are moles. I figured if I could control the grubs, the moles would go away. I do know what else grubex kills, and I also have a little girl and a family pet that play outside all day. I do not want any chemicals in my yard. Period. So far, Ive put down some alfalfa. In another week or so, I will overseed my yard then follow up with some soybean meal i purchased. Last year, I used Ringer and CGM all year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here