Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn slow to green

Posted by rmj619 none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 13:25

I live in southeastern Pennsylvania. I had Tall Fescue installed on a new property in 2011.

Was very slow to green in spring of 2012. Had a soil sample submitted and my numbers were in good range. Started an organic program in May 2012. Put alfalfa pellets down every three weeks all summer and fall. Lawn looked nice and green but still had alot of dry yellow grass underneath.

Last month put down alfalfa pellets and yesterday ( april 10th) i applied 10 bags of milorganite on 25,000 sq ft of grass.

Took a walk with wife last night in an adjacent neighborhood and noticed several lawns thAt were full and as green as could be. Why doesnt our lawn look like that???? - i heard several times....

These lawns look green and all the grass is standing straight up. My grass has some green but a ton of dormant looking grass that looks like straw underneath.

Is it possible they have kbg and it just greens quicker?
Is their soil just that much better?

Any thoughts would be appreciAted....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn slow to green

Soil temperature can have an affect on grass growth which is what causes the grass to become green. If your neighbors apply synthetic nutrients, less dependant on the Soil Food Web, their lawns can green up quicker, but will require more poisons to control insect pests that will be atrracted to those sick lawns. Every lawn I have seen that uses the synthetic growing stimulants also requires numerous and expensive application of poisons to control the insect pests that are attracted there and that contributes to the poisoning of our planet, the world we live in.
Thomas Berry said it best, "You cannot have healthy people in a sick planet."

o

Various varieties do green up quicker than other varieties, even in the same lawn. I wouldn't worry about whose lawn comes in first, but I wonder why you're fertilizing dormant grass.
Better to wait a while after mowing for cool-season lawns. :)

o

I started organic last year with some scotts organic and some milorganite. It takes a little while in spring until the lawn wakes up and the microbes digest the milorganite. Organic fertilizer is slow release unlike chemicals. Give it some time

o

I put soybean meal down, about 50 lbs and got good results.I used alfalfa too but I think the sb meal really greens up a yard. I live in FL so a bit different soil, but give it a shot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here