Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Needed

Posted by jleiwig 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 13:58

Ok...So I recently purchased a house and it had sat vacant for a year and it seems that no one did anything with the lawn for years before that either. The backyard seems like I need a 4x4 mower to get over the holes and bumps and every other thing. It had rained here for a couple days straight and the next day the ground was hard as a rock and had cracks in the ground in the bare spots.I want to go to an organic lawn program, but right now the back yard is over 50% weeds and other such pests, not nice grass. The front yard isn't as bad because the city took care of it while the house was vacant. I'd say it's only 20% weeds. I am putting down a synthetic weed and feed today to hopefully kill most of the weeds and start a comeback.

My questions are these:

1. What would you recommend after this weed & feed application to make my lawn the best organically?

2. Should I put down a light application of SBM next month? every month?

3. Can I fill in the deep holes with a mix of potting soil and compost and then seed these bare spots?

4. It looks like at one point a tree stood in a spot in the back yard. Now there is decomposing tree stump that is in a
depression. Can I just fill in over the top of this with the topsoil/compost/seed mixture?

5. Other general suggestions to get me on the right track?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Needed

My questions are these:
1. What would you recommend after this weed & feed application to make my lawn the best organically?
Weed & Feed is terrible stuff. If you need to weed, then weed. Liquid weed killer according to the directions on the can. Use a pump up sprayer. Weed-Be-Gone is a brand name. There are others, Read the label carefully and follow the directions. Read twice, apply once.
2. Should I put down a light application of SBM next month? every month?
Five applications per season is about right 16 lbs per 1000 sq ft.
3. Can I fill in the deep holes with a mix of potting soil and compost and then seed these bare spots?
No, compost and potting soil settle too much, then you have holes again. Use topsoil.
4. It looks like at one point a tree stood in a spot in the back yard. Now there is decomposing tree stump that is in a
depression. Can I just fill in over the top of this with the topsoil/compost/seed mixture?
Again, Use topsoil.
5. Other general suggestions to get me on the right track?
Ease into an organic lawn care program. Start by using organic fertilizers, then start cutting back on the chemical week products. There is seldom if ever a need for chemical insect or fungus control products. Dont use that stuff.
Below is a link to the Gardenweb Organic lawncare FAQ.
Bill Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic lawn care FAQ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here