Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twilightzone_gw

CG Meal vs CG Pellet in SC

twilightzone
17 years ago

Greetings,

I thought I bought CGM. Later I found out it was in pellet form. I would like to know if I am ok? Do I need to apply the meal again? It did rain over the weekend and the pellets turned mushy.

Also, I wonder if there are any folks, in here, practicing organic lawn care, from upstate South Carolina.

I suck at edging the lawn. I have a Black & Decker electric weed trimmer. Can you please suggest what I must do to get a neatly edged lawn. What tools should I use? (of course I don't want to spend a fortune!!)

I apologize for asking too many questions in one post.

Thanks in advance,

Comments (4)

• greenjeans_il
    17 years ago

Uhm...maybe an edger would be a better tool. I just bought a little four-cycle gas motor edger the end of last year. I find it cheaper to buy lawncare product toward the end of the season. Selections not the best but you can't beat the prices! A little luck is involved, too.

As far as the CG...P's? I'm guessing it would be a lot like alfalfa pellets vs. alfalfa meal; it's not the product that's being applied that's changed so much as the method of applying it. Some people like to spread pellets as opposed to meal, some the other way around. I personally don't mind the dust from the meal and I find it faster and easier to spread than the pellets. The pellets will break down and get to where they need to go, which is in the soil. If you applied at least 20lbs./k you did OK.

Greenjeans

• bpgreen
    17 years ago

I agree with Green Jeans on the edger versus trimmer. I used a trimmer/edger for years and was never very happy with the edging job that it did. It didn't seem to matter if I rotated it a half turn the way it said it was supposed to work or just trimmed really close. It never looked right. I was out for a walk one day when I saw somebody closing up their garage sale, and they asked if I saw anything I could use. I said the edger looked nice, but I only had $5 with me. It works great and is definitely worth the $5. Knowing how well it works, I have to admit that it's worth much more than that, but I probably would have suffered with the trimmer/"edger" if I hadn't walked by when I did.

• twilightzone
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am not sure how much I applied. I bought two 50 lb bags. I opened the rotary spreader all the way up and emptied two bags of CG. I think I might have 5000 sqft.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• greenjeans_il
    17 years ago

If you have 5000sq.ft. and you applied 100lbs. of CGM then you applied 20lbs./k. Take your total sq.ft.(5000) and divide by 1000 (5000/1000=5). Then you can either multiply by how much you want to apply (5x20=100lbs.) or divide by what you've already applied (100/5=20) to figure out your coverage. Let's say you want to apply 10lbs./k on your 5000 sq.ft. lawn. You would multiply:
    5(sq.ft.)x10(lbs.)=50lbs total you would need to spread.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!