Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

found alfalfa cubes but not meal

v1rt
17 years ago

I found a store near my area. They are selling alfalfa cubes but not meal. Is this different?

Comments (9)

• v1rt
    Original Author
    17 years ago

freak, I'm very funny. After googling, I found out that these are for horses! LOL

• greenjeans_il
    17 years ago

Yes, horses LOVE 'falfa! It's the main ingredient in "sweet feed". In fact, some horses can become very finicky eaters if they get too much alfalfa. That becomes all they'll eat but it's not enough to keep them healthy. I can't remember exactly what my brother-in-law told me but I think they can actually contract some kind of disease if 'falfa is all they eat.

I suppose the 'falfa cubes will work if they're small enough to go through you spreader. But if they are what I think they are you may wind up with a big block of 'falfa melting in the middle of your lawn until NEXT Spring.

• brian__c
    16 years ago

Virtuosity, if you're still looking for alfalfa meal, they have it at grayslakefeedsales, which might be close enough to your office in VH for an occasional trip.

• grayentropy
    16 years ago

Ask for rabbit pellets in 50lb bags. Should be about $8-12/50 lbs and contain 16% protein from alfalfa.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hey folks, I'm glad you revived this thread. Sure, I will try contact them. However, I forgot when to apply it. I don't know if it was alfalfa that enhances root growth or was it SBM?

• brian__c
    16 years ago

It was the alfalfa for the root growth, which is why people sometimes use it before seeding.

Also the university of IL extension recommends a 3:1:2 or 4:1:2 n-p-k for lawns and alfalfa seems to be the closest of the common organic choices. However, the SBM does give you more N per $.

• joepyeweed
    16 years ago

I usually apply pellets rather than meal. I always make sure I ask for 100% alfalfa pellets, because some of the rabbit "food" may contain some salts that you might not want to add to the lawn.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

joepyeweed,

I didn't get you. You said. "some of the rabbit "food" may contain some salts". Are you referring to alfalfa meal as the rabbit food? And are you also saying that alfalfa meal has salt in them rather than the alfalfa pellets?

Thanks,

Ron

• grayentropy
    16 years ago

Pellets are 0.5 to 1% NaCL. If I apply 10 lbs/1000 ft^2 I would be adding 1 to 1.5 ounces of NaCl/1000 ft^2. That is a small amount that would readily be washed from the soil. NaCl becomes a problem when the city uses it heavily for snow melt and than plow 1/2 the street onto the first foot or so of your lawn or you leave close to the ocean.

Sponsored