Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

urea

v1rt
15 years ago

Hi folks,

I'm in Chicago area. Any know where I can buy urea?

Thanks,

Ron

Comments (9)

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

You should be able to get it at garden supply stores, nurseries, etc. Maybe at big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes.

If you're using an organic approach, though, urea is a synthetic fertilizer.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh, I had an impression that urea was an organic fertilizer. Looks I should not use it then. Or maybe, any organic folks here who applies urea? What does urea really do for the lawn?

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

It depends...46-0-0 is fast acting urea and it will make your grass really GROW. 39-0-0 is slow release urea and will last 2-3 months. It is same as our urine...

• rcnaylor
    15 years ago

yeah, there is some debate, from what I can see, among the purists about whether urea is organic or chemical. I haven't a clue.

My approach is only to use a relatively small amount of it (1 lb nitrogen per thousand) in the fall as my last feeding when a fast release is called for by some studies.

The rest of the time I go with something I know is organic and not hurting the microbes like grain meals alfalfa meal etc.

It is powerful and can burn if you do decide to use it now.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Urea is one component of urine. Uric acid is a related compound in the stuff that birds poop out. Fish have an ammonia related compound they excrete. It is all heavy in nitrogen.

Urea fertilizer is made by combining natural gas with something. Since there are inexpensive alternatives to it, I like to use the alternatives.

• ronalawn82
    15 years ago

v1rtu0s1ty, organic chemistry deals with compounds that contain carbon. Urea contains carbon. In the study of its chemical properties, urea from any source is an organic compound. Synthetic urea (46%N) is applied to land to provide nitrogen directly to the crop or indirectly to feed the micro-organisms which break down vegetative matter (mulches) which in turn improve the physical condition of the land on which crops are grown.
    Synthetic fertilizers provide nutrients only.
    Agriculturally, organic fertilizers or 'manures' are products of animal and/or vegetable origin which are applied, ploughed in or otherwise incorporated in the soil to improve the physical and biological condition of the land upon which crops are grown. The fertilizer content of manures is very low (often less than 1%) except in the case of the legumes which co-exist with bacteria that manufacture nitrogen. Legumes traditionally have been grown in a crop rotation cycle and then ploughed in for their benefits of nitrogen content and soil ameliorative properties.
    The benefits must have been proven for the farmer to 'sacrifice' the land for that time to a crop that gave no immediate income.
    It is my opinion that the labelling of the nitrogen source as 100% organic when that nitrogen is derived from synthetic urea only, is misleading.
    The label is written in the context of chemistry but the buyer is interpreting it in a biological context.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

At the risk of confusing everyone...historically the term 'manure' referred to any organic material you applied to the soil in an attempt to improve fertility. Animal dung was as much a manure as mowed grass. The term 'green manure' was coined to distinguish between grass and dung. Today almost nobody uses the term manure to refer to grass and the term green manure is only rarely seen. Most people using green manure talk about mulching with grass or something like that.

Urea is taken in by plant roots almost immediately. The value of urea as a food for bacteria and fungi has not been studied to my (limited) knowledge. Given the vast number of species in the soil I would be surprised if at least some of them could not process it to the soil's benefit. Still it is not generally thought of as a true food for the microbes.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great info dchall! Thanks! :)

I'm not going to apply urea anymore. I'm still looking for a CGM. I was wondering why our Blackberry Station, ELburn increased the price again. Last year, it was $14. 3 weeks ago, it was $16. Yesterday, it was $23.

Anyways, while waiting for Christy of Elburn, I'm currently pre-activing fungi on arctic humus. I also bought 7 lbs. of wiggler worm castings. I did some research and read good things about it. I'm planning to use it with my compost tea brewing as well.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just got 2 bags of 50 lbs. of SBM for $15.10 each. I'll just have to adjust my spreading maybe 9-10 lbs/1000 sqft for the backyard. But I'll keep it at 15lbs /1000 in front. :P

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional