Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westchestergrower

Organic questions...

WestchesterGrower
15 years ago

Hi,

You all helped me quite a bit in the Fall and I have a few more questions to ask.

I have a few bags of Gardens Alive organic fertilizer, which seemed to work in the Fall. I believe it is mostly corn glutten.

Anyways, I am ready to do it again this Spring. I was wondering if it would be OK if I put the corn glutten down as well as milorganite (around the same time)? Also, I aerated in the fall before I put these down. Should I do so again? The grass is already thick and beautiful, so I am thinking that can wait. Last, it is good to apply before the rain, right? I know the corn glutten will start to break down with warmer temps.

I appreciate the advice!

Comments (3)

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

One of the good things about organics is you can apply anything any time of day, any day of the year, together or separately, without worrying about interactions. But if you do apply the entire catalog of stuff on the same day, you can blow your entire budget all at once. Another concern is getting too much stuff all at once. I've never used more than 15 pounds per 1,000 square feet of anything all in one day. If you want to apply both Milorganite and corn gluten meal on the same day, I would suggest mixing them together and applying 10-20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Or you could apply them separately and try to do it at 5-10 pounds each. Good luck with that. Five pounds per 1,000 is very hard to apply evenly.

Aerating is best done in the fall. When you do it, go over it in nine different directions. That's a good time to apply compost and water extra heavily. You can't fill the holes with water but it looks like you're trying.

I hope your Garden's Alive froze good over the winter. Down here you can't keep organic fertilizer over the winter and expect it to remain free from bugs. If yours has bugs you can still use it. Mix it up good. The only difference is the ick factor goes up with bugs. Bugs are fertilizer, too. I try to get rid of everything in the fall so I don't have to store it.

• WestchesterGrower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Dchall.

I actually put the bags in the basement and wrapped them with two plastic bags each. Hope that helped!

Aerating in the Fall sounds good and I appreciate your plan. Yeah, last early September I aerated, put down the two fertilizers and grass seed and the lawn was brilliant into November. Was the first lawn to wake up this Spring. I am very pleased! As I said, the only thing I worry about are weeds this year (since this will be my first full year going organic).

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

The best prevention for weeds is

1. Water deeply and infrequently. This keeps weed seeds from getting the daily water they need to germinate.
    2. Mulch mow at the mower's highest setting. This keeps any germinated weed seedlings from getting enough sunlight to grow a root.
    3. Fertilize regularly. This keeps the grass dense and healthy.

Putting the bags in the basement did not help unless your basement froze. The bugs come already in the bag.