Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help!!! -- where to buy organic in my area

Posted by jeffrey_grow western MA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 08 at 16:20

HI,

Help!! I want to start with organic progam this year but seem could not find a store to carry them with decent price! Just checked with a couple of stores for the 1st application in April-May. The store close by is asking $50 for 5000sqft. I have ~20,000sqft to cover!

Gurus, Please give some idea where to find a 'cheap' store. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help!!! -- where to buy organic in my area

What is your zip code.

Search for feed stores or anyone that sells blue seal.

I get my grains at a feed store and a hardware/yard store.

o
RE: help!!! -- where to buy organic in my area

You can buy inexpensive ground grains in plain brown bags at your local feed store. Yes, you have them. They are everywhere. If you really cannot find them, find someone with a horse and ask them. Your local sheriff knows everyone in the county who owns a horse. Anyone who raises rabbits knows where the feed stores are. In fact, rabbit food makes a great fertilizer.

The application rate for generic ground grains is the same as for commercially bagged products. That rate is 10-20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Or if you are really on a budget and have a Starbucks nearby, they will give you (free) 75-pound bags of used coffee grounds. They cover at a different rate because they are wet. You could use coffee grounds at 20-30 wet pounds per 1,000 square feet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here