Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seven333

VermiCompost tea granules?

seven333
15 years ago

Was talking with a landscaper on Sunday and I mentioned that I'd like to apply compost to my crappy soil but that it wouldn't be easy (or cheap) for my +/- acre lawn. She mentioned a product called Great Grow VermiCompost tea granules. Here is the description:

An all natural, dry application of compost containing beneficial microbes. Designed for sustainable, long-term enhancement of plants and soil. Add this soil amendment made from worm castings to your gardens to reduce plants needs for water and fertilizers, help soils recover from application of toxic herbicides or pesticides, and increase beneficial fungi and microbes available for roots. Comes in a 5 lb bag and covers approximately 1000 sq ft.

Has anyone ever heard of or used this? It costs about $19 a bag so it won't be cheap either, but a heck of a lot easier to spread. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• billhill
    15 years ago

Never heard of it. Sounds like vermicompost. What's wrong with your soil and what would you like to accomplish.
    Bill Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: Benefits of using compost

• seven333
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Bill. My lot was previously wooded and rocky. We had it raked but there are still lots of little rocks. It's a very heavy clay and is practically void of worms. We have a few areas with landscaping that had compost added as a soil amendment and those are really the only places we see worms, but there aren't that many. I'm going to start an organic program this year and would like to give it a jump start. All my neighbors' lawns are gorgeous, but have been chemically treated for years. Our existing grass is sporadic, although my dormant overseed of Midnight KBG seems to be doing OK.

• billhill
    15 years ago

Although I am a huge proponent for using compost, in this case I wouldnÂt recommend it. The reason is cost and labor requirements. Top-dressing a lawn takes one cubic yard per 1000 square feet of lawn. How many yards would you need? It has to be spread by shovel and wheel barrel, dumping and flinging it around the yard and then raking or sweeping it for thin, even coverage. An alternative to spreading compost would be to mulch mow lots of fallen leaves into your lawn in the fall. This would add quite a bit of organic matter (OM) to the top of the soil where nature places it. Switching to organic fertilizers especially grains would add OM and be good. There are many to choose from. For me, the workhorse of organic fertilizer is soybean meal. It is rich in nitrogen and micro nutrients, is cost effective and usually available at farm animal feed stores. Many like to diversify their fertilizers by switching between soybean meal and corn meal or cracked corn, Alfalfa pellets (rabbit food) is also used. Commercial organic fertilizers are available from Scotts, Milorganite and others. Both are generally available at Lowes, Home Depot, or Mennards. Used Coffee grounds are very good and available free for the asking from Starbucks and other coffee stores. Look into using compost tea and liquid molasses to jumpstart and feed the micro-organisms living in your soil. Cultural practices are very important. Mow high and water deeply but infrequently. Congratulations on your decision to switch to organic lawn care. Have you started your own compost pile yet?
    Bill Hill

• seven333
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again, Bill. I have 100 pounds of soybean meal in my garage but I'm waiting for the KBG to grow a bit before applying it. I know that's not enough SBM but it's a start. My local feed store sells 50# bags for about $15 so it's not too expensive. I mulched A LOT of leaves last fall and will do so again this year, along with mulch mowing. No compost pile yet but I do have 2 huge piles of wood and leaf chippings from some trees I had removed more than a year and a half ago...I'll take a look at the middle of the pile to see how it's progressing. I'd like to bring in some worms but I'm afraid that it won't do much good until my soil improves a bit.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH