Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

beneficial fungi versus corn meal

v1rt
17 years ago

Corn meal is known for its antifungal characteristics. Will it kill the ACT(aerated compost tea) if we apply corn meal since ACT are also fungi?

Comments (12)

• dchall_san_antonio
    17 years ago

Corn meal works as an antifungal by encouraging the growth of the Trichoderma (try ko DER mah) species of fungi. These bad boys live off the cell walls of other fungi. In abnormal numbers Trichoderma can harm the soil biology; however, you can't get abnormal numbers unless you grow them in a lab and apply them directly. The only thin you can get with corn meal is normal numbers.

I bought some corn meal last weekend for a little fungal problem I have going. As I have mentioned before, my yard gets full use by the family. One thing my wife does is prune shrubs and put them out at the curb to be hauled away. I can count on fungal problems under those piles.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That means, it's ok then. If you were to apply it, which one will you apply first, ACT or corn meal and how many days will you allow for the gap?

I want to follow the footsteps of the expert. :) Woohoo!

Thanks dchall!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I saw this from the organic lawn care faq.

The Trichoderma (try-ko-DER-ma) fungus eats the pathogenic fungi. Trichoderma grows especially well on whole ground corn meal.

I have 4 bags of 50 lbs corn meal which I bought last week from a friend. I think, it's about 1 to 2 years old. Will my cornmeal still be effective?

• bpgreen
    17 years ago

I'm not an expert, but I think it would be fine. It might be moldy, but it'll be the "good" mold. And it might have bugs, but bugs are protein, too.

But I wouldn't store it in the house while you're waiting to apply it.

• dchall_san_antonio
    17 years ago

Any remaining corn meal will still be good, but you might find them full of bugs. If so you could still compost it with some browns (leaves).

Because of bugs I always suggest people not buy more organic materials than they can use in one season. If you have a big freezer, you could kill any bugs or eggs in the corn meal before you open the bags.

• dchall_san_antonio
    17 years ago

I just got some good info in on this topic. I'm waiting for permission to use it. Hopefully on Thursday.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cool! I'll be expecting!

• ronalawn82
    17 years ago

I am unfamiliar with ACT fungus or otherwise Could someone please point me in the right direction?

• dchall_san_antonio
    17 years ago

The fundamental reading on soil microbes is at NRCS. Settle in; it's 50 pages long.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Biology Primer

• v1rt
    Original Author
    17 years ago

dchall, if you have ACT and cornmeal both at the same time, which will you apply first, ACT or corn meal and how many days interval before you apply the other?

• lou_spicewood_tx
    17 years ago

i'd put down cornmeal first then spray ACT. Every 3 months is good for cornmeal, soybean, etc. ACT is optional..

• v1rt
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Great! Thanks lou.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets