Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild grass. Should I be worried?

Posted by jjluna 8/Pac. NW (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 17:17

Wild grass has taken over about 1/4 of my back yard. I don't know what it is, but it grows more slowly than what was already there and it grows more sideways than up. I'm not sure if I should be worried that it is currently blooming and could potentially take over even more. I bought some CGM at the expensive, suburban nursery and spread it around the wild grass area (it's a little too spendy to spread over the whole 4000 sq ft) and I'm mowing a little shorter to cut off the blooms of the wild grass.

Should I be worried? Is there some other organic way to stop the invasion? Or do I just need to let go of the idea that the back yard should be uniform and perfect?

Thanks!

JJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild grass. Should I be worried?

If the grass spreads by rhizomes then the CGM will do you no good (which is what it sounds like). Not to mention the idea I get from CGM is that it takes a while for the pre-emergent effects to kick in. It sounds like it could be an aggressive growth grass (zoysia maybe?) that invades open spaces and puts the squeeze on grass it gets next to. It might be a bad thing for you to have which means starting over!

o
RE: Wild grass. Should I be worried?

Yikes, FP! That's not what I wanted to hear. The truth can be so painful sometimes.

I have to admit I'm a newbie to lawn care, organic or otherwise. This is only my second spring of having grass that I really cared about and wanted to look good. (At our old house you couldn't really see the 500sq ft of grass in the back from most of the windows, so if it was green and didn't have bright yellow flowers that was OK with me.) Last year I waffled between organic and NPK and ended up not doing much of anything, probably leaving the lawn weak and ripe for invasion.

I knew I was late with the CGM, but I figured it couldn't hurt anything. I think I'll continue with the organic plan and see what happens. It should hopefully at least keep some of the lawn healthy.

If we decide the wild grass has to go, I'm sure I'll be back asking for more advice about the best way to do it without resorting to Ortho products.

Thanks!

JJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here