Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pesticide residues in CGM?

Posted by iowahippie15 IA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 08 at 17:57

I'm just about to start my organic program and by 5 bags of 50 LB CGM at the local feed store...which seems expensive at 30.00 a pop, by the way, but I'm all for it anyways.

It crossed my mind that is anyone concerned that there are pesticides in these organic lawn care ingredients (CGM, soybean meal, corn meal, etc.) that are left over after all the farmers zap the crap out of their fields with whatever chemicals they use??

I was panicking a little right before I buy and would like to be reassured somehow...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pesticide residues in CGM?

The pesticides and herbicides used today are SO much safer than in the days of DDT and Agent Orange it isn't even funny. They are required to break down in a matter of weeks rather than in years. The soil organisms and fungi will probably break down the small amount left that they will be such small traces left that they would be rendered undetectible. I wouldn't worry about it, really.

o

You can assume that any grain meal you buy has been treated with pesticides. You have to balance those residual concerns against putting chemicals directly on your lawn. For my own part I think its always better to support the slow-small changes in the market rather than wait for the perfect ones.

o

The corn kernels themselves are protected from direct spray by a sheath and tassels. Then to make CGM the kernels undergo the wet milling process to remove some of the carbohydrates leaving the higher protein powder we know as CGM as a byproduct. I would think the farther away from raw corn you get, but less and less amount of any pesticide residue would remain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here