Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowahippie15

CGM - Consistency?

iowahippie15
15 years ago

I just bought 4 bags of Corn Gluten Meal and it's an orange powder...not at all what I was expecting. Is there a form that is more in a pellet form? It was blowing all over my husband as he was putting it on, and I suspect he won't want to do it again. :)

Comments (8)

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    15 years ago

Unfortunately, I've never heard of one. Fortunately, it's an excellent fertilizer so once he sees the effects he'll probably want to anyway. ;-)

• xdodgemanx
    15 years ago

I have used CGM from Bradfield Organics and it was in pellet form. It did not blow away and was very easy to spread.

• decklap
    15 years ago

I've never come across the powder stuff though many say they have. Any of the CGM with the "legal label" that I've used has been somewhere between a granule and a pellet. The feed store stuff is always a pellet in my experience.

• v1rt
    15 years ago

decklap's description is correct. That's what I remember too. However, you were right about CGM flying everywhere. The best time to apply it is when it's not windy. :)

But wait 3 weeks, and you will see a huge difference in your lawn. I tried it last year and was extremely happy with the results! I've got pictures of my lawn last year somewhere on our archives. I had pictures of CGM pre and post application!

I want to do it again but the price went up $2 more. :(

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

CGM is a yellow/orange color in standard form. As an aside, CGM and corn meal are going to increase substantially in price as more corn is diverted to making ethanol. I used to purchase CGM in 50# bags for $16. It's now around $25 for 40# and going up.

• v1rt
    15 years ago

ours from $14 to $16. Looks like I'll stick with SBM. I found my thread last year, saw that I got it for $11/50 lbs bag. Hopefully, the price this year isn't that high.

• decklap
    15 years ago

Tx. everything is going up and not just because of ethanol. But you can still score some major bargains. Last bag of feed store CGM I got was $6 for #50.

• enigma7
    15 years ago

I've used it twice and both times it was similar to the OP's experience (pretty much a powder). The best thing I can recommend is to open the bag and let it get exposed to some moisture for a day or so. Not rain/mist, but just normal moisture in the air. It will make it a bit less like applying flour, and more like sand. Applying on a calm day makes a huge difference as well, and water lightly immediately after applying to make sure it gets down between the blades of grass.

HTH

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor