Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alabama_lowlife

getting start, several questions

alabama_lowlife
17 years ago

i have never tried to do anything with my lawn other than keep it mowed occasionally. i've lived in my house for about 6 years now, and i'm getting to the point that i actually care.

i've been reading on this site ALOT the past few weeks and started putting some of the stuff i've learned into action. i've raised the mower up, started watering deeply once a week, and i'm gonna give organic a try. i've read the faq and i guess i'm gonna start with SBM, but the amount that is recommended varies alot from what i've read so....how much would you guys and gals recommend?

there are also alot of bare areas that i need to seed and i think it was alfalfa that was good to put out for root growth. should i put that out several weeks before i seed? and should i only put it where i'm seeding? or just do alfalfa everywhere instead of SBM to start with?

i have a pretty bad problem with what i believe is poa annua in the back yard. is there anything i can do this year to help this other than good mowing and watering practice and CGM as a pre-emergent for next year?

can anybody tell me what kind of grass i have? i've tried comparing to other pictures, but i just can't tell lol. the first one is of the small amount of grass in the back, while the second is of the front. are these the same kind of grass?

{{gwi:1101944}}
{{gwi:1101945}}

Comments (10)

• rollerzeke
    17 years ago

Hello alabama.

You came to the right place. I think you are doing the correct thing by using the soybean meal and alfalfa.

Now, I will move out of the the way and let some of the expert lawn people answer some of your questions.

Keep up the good work.

Good day.

• tiddyt
    17 years ago

Your grass is either St.Augustine or Zoysia. They look pretty similar, and really can't tell from the pics, but I'm pretty sure that some of the experts will be able to help you.

• dtullier
    17 years ago

This is centipede grass...it is really popular in the south east states. It is known as the lazy man's grass because it typically requires less than other grasses. On my centipede lawn I use a combination of SBM 14-16 lbs/1000 and corn meal. I have not tried alfalfa yet, but plan to in May. Also I have noticed that many centipede lawns on my street the grass suffers some and I think it is from soil compaction. A regular organic program will help improve the soil and loosen it if this indeed is a problem you face. As for the poa annua it should to start to die off soon. Poa annua infests a lot of lawns down here too and it is really dying off now with the hot weather. I have read about using CGM for a preemergent weed preventer, but have yet to try it. I can't seem to find it in the Baton Rouge area.

• dchall_san_antonio
    17 years ago

The top picture looks like St Augustine. I don't recognize the grass in the lower picture. You really need to know if it is St Augustine or centipede because they need different care. In either case you won't need seed. They both spread to cover.

I'm not sure what range of application rates you've found but generally you're safe with 10-20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. With the organic materials it is hard to overdo it so it really is safe to go up to 40 pounds per 1,000; however, you start to get a very strong sour smell when you get too much. One of the advantages of the organic method is that there is no smell when you are doing it right, so if you stay in the 10-20 range, you're going to be okay.

• alabama_lowlife
    Original Author
    17 years ago

first off, thanks for all the help!

the reason the top one looks so much better is that the grass in that picture is growing in the area near the septic tank. at least that's where i think it is since it's always been greener and faster growing that the rest of the back yard.

i feel like it's probably not st augustine because i don't think they sodded when this was built. it is a small house built for an elderly couple and there aren't any "extra" features so to speak. all the wall were the same color....just a very plain, inexpensive house. however, i can ask my neighbors this afternoon since they lived in their house when this one was built.

if it is st augustine, how would the organic approach vary for it?

• alabama_lowlife
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ok, i pulled a little sprig and took some more pics. i still can't figure out what it is.
    {{gwi:1101946}}

{{gwi:1101947}}

• dchall_san_antonio
    17 years ago

That's classic St Augustine.

The difference between St Aug and centipede care is mowing height. St Aug gets mowed at the highest setting and centipede gets mowed at the lowest for best density.

• alabama_lowlife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok, i put out some SBM on the front today. they only had one 50 lb. bag until next week so i'll put out some more then.

do i need to water soon or wait a few days? it's been 4 or 5 days since it rained so i'll be due to water in a couple days.

does it matter if i mow tomorrow or do i need to let it settle or anything like that? and it'll take 3 weeks or so to get results....i'm gonna be counting the days

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

do i need to water soon or wait a few days? it's been 4 or 5 days since it rained so i'll be due to water in a couple days.

Whenever. You don't need to water it in, but you can if you wish. You can mow, water, weed, garden, etc. just like always.

However, the clock starts when the SBM gets watered in. :-) I did mine the day before a rainstorm.

• alabama_lowlife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i watered it in saturday morning. i wish i had known the clock didn't start until i watered it in, i'd have done that a few days ago lol. now i gotta get that other bag and put it on there.