Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

oh no, earth worms

v1rt
16 years ago

hehehe, just want to share how delighted I am to see mature earth worms this morning. I dug the soil to plant small plants with the help of my wife. I saw earthworms and my wife as well. Looks like all the organic grains and compost tea I applied last year paid off. :D Woohoo!!!

Also, about 1.5" of the soil on top is pitch black!!! I remember someone here told me that it's really good.

I need more of 'em so there is no need for my lawn to be aerated. :p

Comments (11)

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

I need more of 'em so there is no need for my lawn to be aerated. :p

Wait. On rich soil, they'll be happily, er, making little worms. Lots of little worms.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

By the way, while I was also digging, I saw a color white worm around 3mm in length. It attached to my finger and the body was waving like an earthworm. I also saw black line inside the body. So it's not purely opaque white. Is that also earthworm?

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

That's a brain eating grub. It didn't....touch you, did it?

Kidding. I have no idea, maybe a young larva of something? The black line is actually its digestive canal, so what you were seeing was what was moving through...probably.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, I'm sure it was her digestive canal. The moving that I was referring to was the whole lenght of the worm. His whole body was forming like the letter S shape just like a regular earthworm's movement. However, both ends were pointed. I'll dig her up again tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll see her again. HEHEHE. :)

• enigma7
    15 years ago

I was turning my compost pile the other day (haven't really gotten deep in it for a month or two) and was sad to see it was a bit too wet near the bottom. So I went about breaking up the wet matter and spreading it out to dry out a bit and was pleasantly surprised to see about 5 HUGE earthworms. I'm talking almost as thick as a finger and probably 6-12" long. Those buggers must have been going to town on the pile. :)

• Gags
    15 years ago

"I saw earthworms and my wife as well."

I have to ask - what was your wife doing down in the soil? Is this something we should be reporting to the authorities? :-)

Gags

• jer213
    15 years ago

^^^^^----LOL Gags!

And congrats v1rtu0s1ty, you have inherited earthworm love. Keep 'em happy and they'll keep you happier!

-Jeremy

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL gags. Hahaha! I really meant "my wife saw worms as well when she was digging! :D

Thanks again guys! :)

• computergardener
    15 years ago

Congratulations!!!

Nothing makes an organic gardener happier then earth worms. Welcome to the team.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. :)

By the way, just an FYI. There was a big weed(dandelions) near my walkway. I used my shovel to pull it out. The root was like 10" long. While I was slowly removing the soil, I found 4 earthworms around the roots! Hmmm, got curious, looks like there is good nutrients from these dandelions. I noticed too that when I tore the root apart, a whitey liquid substance slowly came out. Maybe, that's what the earthworms is sucking?! Interesting. :)

• maplerbirch
    15 years ago

I think the earthworms may have been interested in the exudates of the root. I have not heard of them actually sucking out anything from living plants.