Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

corn meal help please

v1rt
15 years ago

I contacted about 4 feed store that I found at yellowpages. Unfortunately, they don't carry corn meal. I'm in chicago area, does any here know where I can purchase them?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

If you're looking for corn meal (not corn gluten meal), you can buy it in the baking aisle at the supermarket. You might be able to get it in larger quantities and/or more cheaply at a warehouse club (like Sam's, Costco, etc).

• grayentropy
    15 years ago

Look for cracked corn.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't know they are selling them. Woohoo!!! :D

How many pounds do they sell and how much?

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

I've never paid a lot of attention to the price or size of the bags of corn meal, flour, etc. If it's on the shopping list that week, I get a bag of it. I've never bought it in bulk to use as fertilizer or to combat fungus (it's too dry here to have many worries about fungus).

I would guess that the grocery stores would have it in smaller bags, about 2-10 lbs, and warehouse stores would have it in larger bags, about 25-50 (maybe 100) lbs.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I searched Sam's Club website for corn meal using zipcodes within 50 miles. No luck for corn meal. :(

I guess, I'll stick with SBM then.

• iowa50126
    15 years ago

I've used corn meal for treating lawn fungus. Since I only treated a portion of my lawn (about 1500 sqft). I purchased my corn meal at Wal*Mart in the grocery store.

They sell 5 pound packages of CM next to the flour in the baking section.

For a whole lawn application buying CM this way is probably not cost effective. But, for spot fungus control it worked for me.

• fescue_planter
    15 years ago

I dumped cracked corn on my lawn at about 12lb/1000sqft about a week ago and the blackbirds are going nuts chomping it down. I hope in the summer humid months it breaks down a little faster to avoid getting stolen!

• billhill
    15 years ago

Use cracked corn. It spreads easily and is widely available at farm feed places. Its chicken, duck, horse and cow feed. It may have some whole cernals that grow into little corn plants, I think their cute. They mow down easily and pull easily from any beds that get planted. Bill Hill

• troyoder
    15 years ago

Try Pioneer Seed in Villa Park. Just purchased a 40# bag of pelletized CGM there a couple of weeks ago. Bradford Organics brand that someone mentioned earlier.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

I don't mind birds coming to my yard. Usually they come for the feed but they also find grasshoppers and other critters that I don't need. Plus they leave behind fresh fertilizer.

Did you ask the feed stores you called if they knew where you might find corn meal?

• grayentropy
    15 years ago

Birds (robins and bluejays mostly) come solely to my lawn in swarms pre and post grain spreading all the time. The application of grains does not appear to attract them. They are usually eating my worms and insects. If they actually are eating any of my corn then they are eating less worms, which is a good thing.

The free bird poop is good too!

I spread coarsed cracked corn two weeks ago. Soil temps have been ~50. The corn is mostly dissolved and working its way into the soil. It seems to melt in.

Have you tried a search for BlueSeal suppliers? Anyone selling BlueSeal will have cracked corn, corn meal, soybean meal etc. That is how I found three sources of grains in MA.

Google blueseal and your zipcode and see what you get.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Birds (robins and bluejays mostly) come solely to my lawn in swarms pre and post grain spreading all the time. The application of grains does not appear to attract them.

I find the same thing, but I am hesitant to repeat it every single time I see someone ask the question. So much is interrelated with the organic program that every reply has the potential of going 3,000 words or more. I love to talk about wasps and dung beetles but I just have to stop myself.

I spread coarsed cracked corn two weeks ago. Soil temps have been ~50. The corn is mostly dissolved and working its way into the soil. It seems to melt in.

It doesn't dissolve so much as it disappears. When I say it disappears I mean that it is still there but you can no longer see it. It is covered with decomposing fungi and has assumed the color of soil.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The best feed store I found for CGM is still Black Station at Elburn. I'm thinking now between SBM and CGM since I can get SBM for $13 at Grayslake. So if I get 3 50 lbs bags, I'll be able to save $9.

• soccer_dad
    15 years ago

just don't wash your car right before applying.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?