Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmnhiramga

sand for clay soil?

kmnhiramga
15 years ago

Hi, my lawn has been organic for the past two seasons, though I haven't fertilized quite as often as I should, but I don't put down chemicals anymore and I can tell a difference in soil quality and the soil is less compacted. However, one area is still compacted. In this area of my lawn the seeded bermudagrass has gotten thinner and thinner. So, I found myself at Home Depot wondering if I should work the soil and reseed until the sodded area nearby finally creeps that far to fill in.

So the well intentioned fellows at HD gave the whole "use a lawn service" drill and aerating, pre-emergent, "Scotts products are the best" ect. ad nausea. I didn't stop them just listened and smiled.

TO THE POINT: One thing they said made me wonder, he said core aerate and then topdress with sand because here in North Georgia the clay soil won't allow the roots to go anywhere. I always hear about adding compost, but I am wondering if adding sand has any merit for Red Georgia clay?

Comments (9)

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Your University of Georgia CES people will tell you do not add sand to your clay and others will tell you that if you do add sand to clay it should be a lot of sand, like 45 to 75 percent by volume. Organic matter is what your soil needs, whether it is clay or sand.

Here is a link that might be useful: UG article on amending Georgia clay

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Add Organic matter. Sand is good for leveling the lawn if you need to.

Why is the bermuda getting thinner? Is it shady? Are you mowing at the mower's lowest setting? If it is not shady and you are mowing at the mower's lowest setting, then it is because you are not fertilizing.

• kmnhiramga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks,
    the area where the bermuda is getting thinner is not shaded, and I do the exact same thing in this area as I do the rest of the yard. It's a bit wierd. At this point, I think I'm gonna have to reseed in the worst area, so I'm going to plant some princess 77.

Thanks.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

When was the last time you fertilized and what did you use?

• kmnhiramga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Last summer I fertilized with an organic lawn fertilizer, I believe it was called Safe Lawn or something similar. I've looked all over the net but can't find it now. It was a mixture of bone meal, blood meal, potash, etc. It worked well.
    The other application was Milorganite. I'm going to put down Milorganite again next week.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

When was the last time you had a good, reliable soil test done? What is your soils pH? What is the nutrient load in that soil? How well does that soil drain? How well does that soil retain mosture? What life is in your soil?
    Contact your Universtiy of Georgia USDA Cooperative Extension Service county office about having a good reliable soil test done and also dig in with these simple soil tests,
    1) Structure. From that soil sample put enough of the rest to make a 4 inch level in a clear 1 quart jar, with a tight fitting lid. Fill that jar with water and replace the lid, tightly. Shake the jar vigorously and then let it stand for 24 hours. Your soil will settle out according to soil particle size and weight. A good loam will have about 1-3/4 inch (about 45%) of sand on the bottom. about 1 inch (about 25%) of silt next, about 1 inch (25%) of clay above that, and about 1/4 inch (about 5%) of organic matter on the top.

2) Drainage. Dig a hole 1 foot square and 1 foot deep and fill that with water. After that water drains away refill the hole with more water and time how long it takes that to drain away. Anything less than 2 hours and your soil drains too quickly and needs more organic matter to slow that drainage down. Anything over 6 hours and the soil drains too slowly and needs lots of organic matter to speed it up.

3) Tilth. Take a handful of your slightly damp soil and squeeze it tightly. When the pressure is released the soil should hold together in that clump, but when poked with a finger that clump should fall apart.

4) Smell. What does your soil smell like? A pleasant, rich earthy odor? Putrid, offensive, repugnant odor? The more organic matter in your soil the more active the soil bacteria will be and the nicer you soil will smell.

5) Life. How many earthworms per shovel full were there? 5 or more indicates a pretty healthy soil. Fewer than 5, according to the Natural Resources Conservation Service, indicates a soil that is not healthy.
    to see what you do have for soil and what you need to do to make it better.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Have you read the Bermuda Bible?

• billhill
    15 years ago

kmnhiramga - Have you seen OKCdan's organically maintained Bermuda Lawn. After you read the Bermuda Bible, take a look at Dan's lawn and advise for organic Bermuda maintenance.
    Bill Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: OKC dan's Organic Bermuda Lawn

• kmnhiramga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, thanks folks. billhill, yes I've seen OKCdans lawn, and though I'm jealous, I'm not looking for another obsession. You guys are really on top of things.
    Well either way all in all thanks for the replies, at this point I also have trees to tend, my saturday night soccer league, my daughter's softball league, plus my wife and I both work full time, so, I'm not a good candidate for making my back yard a master's thesis project or anything. It probably is a good idea to check the PH level. Nearby this area on a slope I have Vinca Minor growing and it is thriving.
    I am going to aerate the area, (manual, I started it tonight) add organic matter (soil amendment, maybe starbucks coffee grounds?) and see how the area improves, if the bermuda that is there starts looking better I'll keep at it if not, I may still reseed with some princess 77 and not let this area get this compacted again.

Thanks all.

Sponsored