Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost strategies for large lawn

Posted by Andrew_RVA 7 VA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 22:02

Hello folks, pretty simple question here. We have about 22,000 sf of lawn. We have our own compost pile, but I think at the most we might have about one yard. Even if I can get my hands on enough compost to spread over our entire lawn, I shutter at the thought of spreading it over a half acre by hand.

I am considering spreading compost on the parts of the lawn that are bare, thin, or covered in moss, and spraying compost tea onto the rest of the yard. Is compost tea a decent substitute for compost in this situation? My thinking is that the bare areas need organic matter the most, but the compost tea will add nutrients to fortify OM that is already in the more filled-in areas. Am I on the right track here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost strategies for large lawn

• Posted by SC77 6b (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 22:12

Compost in the form of tea or top dressed will both work equally well. Tea will get to work faster, but unless you have some sort of huge brewing area, that kind of lawn is going to take a lot of tea...Typically it's brewed in a 5 gallon bucket with fish pump for aeration. You would need like 50 gallons of tea to cover that lawn.

I have about 5000sq feet of lawn and its easy enough just to load up the wheel barrel and scoop shovel fulls of compost and sort of just heave it across the yard.. doesn't need to be too uniform, it will be spread out by nature rather quickly. This method won't work for you, I have never used this tool, but you could consider buying a compost barrel spreader. It's a relativley cheap option, since the next step up would be some sort of commerial tools

Compost Barrel Spreader

o

Compost tea is one way to get some bacteria into the soil, but if there is not adequate amounts of organic matter in that soil they will have nothing to live on and will not be of much use.
If the soil has adequate amounts of organic matter in the soil spraying compost tea probably is not necessary.

o

Thanks for the information! Really glad I found this forum. I just ordered Paul Tukey's Organic Lawn Care Manual and look forward to diving in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here