Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creeping Charlie Suggestions...

Posted by kuriooo 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 22:04

Hi All,

So we've done the pseudo-organic method for about 4 years, although we haven't been strict about some of the rules (watering, etc). We are slowly having an influx of creeping charlie, and it is getting out of control in some parts of the yard.

Pulling by hand is just not working - it grows quickly.

We've got a mix of clover in with the grass, and generally try to cut high and water less.

I'm ok with having "some" charlie and weeds, but it's really getting close to taking over. Any suggestions for how to kill charlie?

What would happen to my soil organisms if I apply pesticides one spring to "nuke" the charlie and then return to organic? Is this possibly a recommended course of action to keep things under control for a few more years?

txs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creeping Charlie Suggestions...

Creeping Charlie, aka Creeping Jenny and ground ivy "Glechoma hederacea", has prefered soil conditions like any other plant has and usually these soil conditions are not good grass growing conditions. Correcting the too moist, shady, and generally lower soil pH conditions can help, so a start to control "Glechoma hederacea" is with your soil.
What is your soils pH?
How much organic matter is in that soil?
How well does the soil drain?
How well does that soil retain moisture?
What does that soil smell like?
What kind of life is in that soil?
How does that soil work?

Here is a link that might be useful: About Creeping Charlie

o
RE: Creeping Charlie Suggestions...

Hi Kimmsr,

Thanks for the Charlie post. I took a look at the "hot spots" today and can identify some of the problems right away. Some of the spots are definitely retaining more moisture than others, which is contributing to "my" charlie problems. Guess I need to cut back on watering certain areas.

The other areas are cared for by my neighbor, who doesn't use organic methods. These areas are sunny, and the charlie is totally out of control. It's getting cut pretty regularly and pretty short, too. Sure that's contributing to growth.

We've been working to up organic matter for the past several years, spreading compost and coffee grounds regularly. Soil is slightly basic, but not much. More and more worms every year. The yard is a mix of clay in one area and lots of sand. It's taking a lot of soil ammendments to get some good quality soil, but we're getting there.

Thanks for the link, that's also good charlie info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here