Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catkin_gw

Genetically Modified Organisms--GMOs

catkin
10 years ago

Is there any harm to the microherd when GMO corn, soy, etc is applied to the lawn and garden?

Does it make sense to apply organic grains, etc. and not GMO stuff?

Hoping this doesn't sound like too silly of a question. Been trying to feed myself more organic foods and thought about the soil and its inhabitants.

I don't pretend to know a lot about GMOs but am in the learning process.

Thanks for your input.

Comments (7)

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

We don't know because no research has been done to find out. There is some research that appears to point to some changes in the genetics of mice which could indicate a change in genetics of humans and bacteria and fungi, but since no one is looking we probably will not find out.

• catkin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kim. I suspect we already know the answer...organic applications only!

• ken_mce
    10 years ago

GMO's have been tinkered with at the genetic level. They may have traits from anywhere. However, the microherd does not really concern itself with the genome, its interest is what the deceased is made of. Any natural material should compost about as well as any other.

There could be exceptions, but I would expect them to compost indistinguishably from anything else. If you want to be cautious you might keep them out of your food garden, but I would use them on anything else and not really worry about it.

• chhe
    10 years ago

What kimmsr said is completely and utterly wrong and indicative of someone who doesn't know basic biochemistry.

To answer the original poster's question however, the answer is, no. Genetically modified plants don't in any way effect the microflora. Furthermore, you can't presently purchase any gmo seed for your lawn or garden. The gmo seed companies use distributors who only sell to farmers and you have to sign a contract beforehand. These distributors don't even list their pricing online so you pretty much have to call them to place an order and they don't sell in small quantities. Unfortunately, there are many seed companies who sell to gardeners who are taking advantage of people's ignorance and labeling their seeds gmo-free even though no seed company who sells to the average citizen sells any gmo seeds. Its deceptive advertising. If you can buy it online and its not being sold in a 50lbs sack or larger then its not gmo.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

The European Union is limiting GMOs because of concerns about how they might affect human health because some, very limited research has indicated that GMOs do have adverse heatlh affects on humans. Here, in the USA, there has not been any research, except on us in the last 40 or so years as we have been unknowingly exposed to GMOs, there has been no research done to determine what, if any, affects GMOs might have on us.
    The same thing seems to apply to some of the commonly used pesticides. The University of Florida and the University of California hospital systems are seeing migrant workers that have been exposed to many of the pesticdes used on factory farms with major health problems and genetic changes, but because these are migrant workers no one is too interested in doing the research needed to see what the problems is.

• enigma7
    10 years ago

Listen to chhe on this one. We are not EATING the grain, and the organisms that are are being eaten, which are being eaten, which are...you get the idea. To top it off there are decomposers (such as fungi) who's job is to revert any "used up" or non-easily utilized source as food to usable nutrients. It's a web, and highly unlikely that even if (and this is a HUGE if) the immediate consumer of the grain is somehow being selected for due to a change in the grain (higher % of X, traces of Y), the thing that eats that organism is not going to change.

I think there can be some valid concern of directly consuming GMO's that could contain trace pesticides/chemicals/metals not BECAUSE they are GMO, but because they are mass produced where the dollar is king.

• catkin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input. I was hoping for some different takes on the subject and you didn't disappoint!

I have some corn and alfalfa stuff in bags that I'll the throwing on the lawn in the Fall.