Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corn Gluten pellets cheaper than Soy Bean Meal

Posted by twilightzone z7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 07 at 22:51

Greetings,
Where I live, Corn Gluten pellets are cheaper than Soy Bean meal, even though I do not see any label on the CGP bag. I buy it from local feed store. In this case, can I use CGP as fertilizer all through the year instead of SBM, since CGP has more nitrogen content. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
TWZ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corn Gluten pellets cheaper than Soy Bean Meal

CGP or CGM are the same thing, the only draw back I see with the CGP is that it may take longer to break down then the meal form.

o

I am trying to find out if I can use CGM all through the year as fertilizer instead of Soy bean meal. For me, Soy bean meal is more expensive than CGM.

Thanks,

o

Sure it is ok to use all season long another alternative is Alfalfa Meal, but not if you plan on reseeding in the fall because CGM or CGP has the side effect of being a pre-emergent and it will prevent your grasslings from sprouting. How much of a price difference is there between SBM and the CGP, how much were you quoted for the 2 meals?

o

I can get CG pellets 50lb bag for $6 and Soybean meal 50 lb bag for $13. I don't foresee reseeding as I have bermuda and zoysia.

Thanks,

o

I'm so jealous. CGM/P is so much more expensive here than soybean!

o

I would check to see what % CGM is used in the pellets. If it's mostly filler you may see a decrease in protein compared to the more expensive SBM. The CGM I buy I think I remember it being 60 or 80%, can't recall exactly off hand.

o

Thanks for all the information.
I will check with the feed store and let you know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here