Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost tea for thatch

Posted by binder 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 23:56

I understand that spraying a good compost tea on your lawn could help speed up thatch decomposition. First of all, has anyone tried this and does it work effectively? If so, how many treatments would I use? How quick should I expect to see results? Any other thoughts?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost tea for thatch

its supposed to, theres an article, i'm sure someone will soon reference you to on organic lawn care. it says that organic lawns have little thatch. I, for one, can agree with this as i have little to no thatch. BUT, i'm sure that certain types of grass bring more thatch than a ky fescue lawn.

o

What kind of grass do you have?
Where do you live?
How often do you water and for how long?
How high do you mow and how often?
How often do you fertilize and with what?

Go to the Organic Gardening forum and look in the FAQ. There is one near the bottom of the list called Organic Lawn Care. Or it is on many other lawn forums around the Internet.

o

A good healthy turf needs about 1/2 inch of thatch, any more than that and it indicates your soil is not supporting a good Soil food Web which will digest excess thatch for you. Compost tea might help with thatch build up temporarily but the more permanent sollution for that is to work on the soil to get enough organic matter into the soil to support an active Soil Food Web.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here